Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited!!

Mabel laid her first clutch of 2 eggs this morning.

Having carefully put a vermiculite-filled laying chamber in the viv, she went and laid them in the moist hide (sphagnum moss). Typical.

bit of a problem though - they seem to be stuck together. Do I leave them as they are, or do I try to separate them?

I'm now frantically scuttling around trying to set up the incubator. Have put the eggs in a container of moist vermiculite in the viv for now - hope they'll be ok!

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can someone advise me please. thanks

Mabel laid her first clutch of 2 eggs this morning.

bit of a problem though - they seem to be stuck together. Do I leave them as they are, or do I try to separate them?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Im no expert but nobody else is answering.
I personally would leave them. You may damage them when trying to seperate.
Goodluck!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
congrats !! :D
well im no expert but i would say leave them as they may be joined, and you may risk damaging one or even both eggs if you try and separate them :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
leave them together, you only have a problem if one egg is fertile and one is not, if this happens you will have to cut away the dead and decaying egg from the fertile egg but cross that bridge if it happens :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - that's sort of what I was thinking. Good to have my instincts confirmed!!

She's still an odd shape, so I suspect more are on the way.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It's no problem if you want to seperate them (will make things easier) but since I don't know how long ago they have been laid it might be somewhat more difficult now. I've had this problem with maybe 60% of my clutches last year and seperated all of them. Just as long as youre careful and don't hold the eggs too tight. Just very carefully try to seperate them if they give in a little just try some more but as soon as it feels as if you really have to rip them apart just stop immediately.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
There will be no harm leaving them stuck think corn eggs :S lol
I wouldnt advise you taking them appart as they are quite fragile with turning etc and you could very well damage the egg and lose the babies :(

Is this her first year breeding ?

Congratulations :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She laid the eggs somewhere between 11pm last night and 2pm this afternoon! (probably in the night), so by the time I found them they had firmed up nicely but were stuck together. I have tried to gently prise them apart, but no go, so I've left them together.

She is still an odd shape, not quite so triangular but not 'normal', so I think there are more in there. I shall just keep on monitoring her.

She has had babies before, so this isn't her first time, just mine.

The incubator is up and running, although I don't have a thermometer in there yet (am collecting it tomorrow) - she caught me unawares!

I'm still excited by it all!

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
You should be ok keeping them in a seperate tub in the viv until you get the incubator set up correctly :)

If its not her first breeding year then she should be dropping more eggs in about 2 weeks (ours do)

It not unusual for them to lay more that 2 eggs but normally they only lay 2 at a time and yup they look odd after laying lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
you never know, you may end up with siamese twins :) 2 headed (insert type of lizard here) yeah what is it anywho?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts