Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who uses them and do you find it presents any problems when you remove the gloves, in some snake keepers eyes it seems to be almost a rite of passage when you get a "good tag" (not mine). So what are your opinions on this subject.

catch and release

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Just wondering who uses them and do you find it presents any problems when you remove the gloves, in some snake keepers eyes it seems to be almost a rite of passage when you get a "good tag" (not mine). So what are your opinions on this subject.

catch and release
I think gloves can help, thick ones anyway. Especially if a snake is gonna tag someone :2thumb:

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
Funny enough got bitten today while wearing gloves. The king still held on for ages and even dunking his head under the tap didn't stop him. I just waited for him to let go.

I'm glad I wore the gloves. I have been bitten by him before and it wasn't nice. I don't care how it makes me look, if I can avoid getting bitten by a snake that I know to be bitey but also one that latches on for ages, then I'm gonna use the gloves.

I was worried how hard it would be for him to unhook his teeth but he let go fine in the end and just left a layer of saliva on the glove.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Funny enough got bitten today while wearing gloves. The king still held on for ages and even dunking his head under the tap didn't stop him. I just waited for him to let go.

I'm glad I wore the gloves. I have been bitten by him before and it wasn't nice. I don't care how it makes me look, if I can avoid getting bitten by a snake that not only btes but latches on for ages, then I'm gonna use the gloves.

I was worried how hard it would be for him to unhook his teeth but he let go fine in the end and just left a layer of saliva on the glove.

i love this photo :D

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

I'm glad I wore the gloves. I have been bitten by him before and it wasn't nice. I don't care how it makes me look, if I can avoid getting bitten by a snake that I know to be bitey but also one that latches on for ages, then I'm gonna use the gloves.

Did it prevent it from hurting you then louise, wearing gloves?

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Are there any tell tale signs before he bites or does he do it quickly?.

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
Are there any tell tale signs before he bites or does he do it quickly?.
I knew he was going to, that's why I put the gloves on. As soon as I lifted the lid to the RUB he came straight over and went for me :lol2: I replaced the lid, got the gloves on and as soon as I picked him up he started opening his mouth and trying to latch on. Missed the first few times but got me in the end.

He tends to do the opposite if he's not going to bite. I will lift the lid on the RUB and he will go and hide away. It's usually safe then to pic him up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think it all depends on the size of the snake, those gloves obviously helped louise in that case but if i used those gloves with my carpet python then i dont think it would make any difference really. Also, how far do u go? i mean gloves are great but what if it goes for ur arm or ur neck? Ski jacket and a scarf? lol

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
Just man up and bleed a little. It hardly hurts at all, even when fighting with tree boas!

Even my 8ft Bci/bcc wasnt *that bad* the most bothersome part was the itching after it scabbed over haha :D
It's not a case of manning up. I can deal with pain. Went through 7 hours of child birth with no pain relief :whistling2:

If I can avoid a bite I will. Why is it that wearing gloves when handling bitey snakes makes you a wimp?

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just man up and bleed a little. It hardly hurts at all, even when fighting with tree boas!

Even my 8ft Bci/bcc wasnt *that bad* the most bothersome part was the itching after it scabbed over haha :D
That attitude is just so eighties:gasp: times they are a changing.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I did mean the comment in jest, not to insult anyone! On a more serious note, my primary concern is the well being of the animal, the teeth are very brittle (even in large snakes) so my option is the snake bites skin, or the snake bites nothing. I'd rather not let it bite gloves or similar because it may catch a tooth etc.

It is fairly easy to avoid a bite most of the time, just employ some different techniques in handing and 99% of the time you don't get bit, and the snake doesn't get trapped teeth/fibres in mouth.

Also a snake tends to stop biting quicker, in my experience when it misses multiple times, versus when they connect.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
It's not a case of manning up. I can deal with pain. Went through 7 hours of child birth with no pain relief :whistling2:

If I can avoid a bite I will. Why is it that wearing gloves when handling bitey snakes makes you a wimp?
This ^^

everyone has preferences and different needs, some peoples blood is thinner than others, once a bite is inflicted for some people the after effect can be different to vairied people.

To this day I have been bitten even when wearing gauntlets and I lost count how many times, if you can avoid a bite do it, however some cases call for handling a snake with no protection and that also is fine.

I have read a few times that even some members (respected) on here who keep retics etc feel like fainitng at the first sign of blood so it is also probibly a good idea for them to wear protection.

You can look at both aspects of this, the snake even if it did inflict a bite is not big enough to kill you and the bite is not likley to be painful (maybey a little itchy afterward)

Normally when a snake bites it is either doing it defensively or in a way to feed.

In this case it would be the snake is likley to bite defensively if it has not been fed.

If you go in with no protection do I really need to say rather than approach the snake from the front go from the tail?

Each to their own menthod, I wear gauntlets with most of my snakes exception of the corn snakes, that way if I do something stupid I am not much of a risk to myself or the snake if I can regain controll of the bite without reacting sinister.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm actually about to make a thread explaining my handling and experience with my new stinking goddess (elaphe carinata), this species has an attitude!

In short, its CF, male about 1-2 year old, aggressive and called Aggro!
Before I picked it up I got 2 things, garden gloves/gauntlets and a radiator paint roller (snake hook for £2)
I must say I got tagged the other day and for his size I was rather shocked by the "pain"
But I have also used the gloves with him, now this is hard to "feel" the snake so you have to watch its body language and predict its next move! It turned out to be a nice handle and earlier I wore no gloves and didn't see any aggressiveness so improvement lol

Gav

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm actually about to make a thread explaining my handling and experience with my new stinking goddess (elaphe carinata), this species has an attitude!

In short, its CF, male about 1-2 year old, aggressive and called Aggro!
Before I picked it up I got 2 things, garden gloves/gauntlets and a radiator paint roller (snake hook for £2)
I must say I got tagged the other day and for his size I was rather shocked by the "pain"
But I have also used the gloves with him, now this is hard to "feel" the snake so you have to watch its body language and predict its next move! It turned out to be a nice handle and earlier I wore no gloves and didn't see any aggressiveness so improvement lol

Gav
you think thts pain come play wiv my burms there last toy quit screamin mercy hahaha..... wen yu get bit frm one of the big five, royal/corn/king bits feel like nips frm goldfish..... gloves are fr the trendy ppl yu gota grab any chance to fit in an accessory :2thumb:

always look fr the famous 'S' shape in the neck while raised n pointing at yu this is a defo strike position!

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I've never handled with gloves & I'm the biggest wimp ever, I cannot deal with pain in the slightest.. But I'd much rather the snake bit me than bit a glove, because I'm always worried about them damaging their teeth.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts