Reptile Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
I prefer a hook usually with bitey snakes however I will wear gloves when handling my green anaconda till he has tamed down a little as the hook makes him more defensive/aggressive.purely and simply because he is wild caught and they can carry some nasties like tetanus and potentially rabies, everything else has bit me before without gloves,it's purely a personal preference really, some use gloves and others don't I have nothing against the people that use them, what ever works best for handling that particular snake

Reactions: Fionab

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
Should any of my snakes become bitey in the future, they're only babies now, I will wear gloves when handling them to avoid being bitten.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It's not a case of manning up. I can deal with pain. Went through 7 hours of child birth with no pain relief :whistling2:

If I can avoid a bite I will. Why is it that wearing gloves when handling bitey snakes makes you a wimp?
totally agree, obviously there are limits but im with you, if there is something i can do to avoid a bite then i will do it. i dont think its a case of "Manning up" i think its a case of being daft if you are happy to get bitten........

its like Do you wait for the green man to try to avoid being run down or will i Man up and just chance it at red cos the chances are i wont get hit or it wont hurt that much!

it doesnt make u big getting bitten it makes you daft IF you can do something to avoid it ( and i know there are times when u cant or wont avoid it )

·
Registered
817 Posts
Its very easy to have your confidence knocked when dealing with any animal.

If your a little unsure anything that gives you an extra boost to get "hands on" can't be a bad thing :2thumb:

Most animals, not just snakes, will pick up on the lack of confidence from the handler and can react in a negative way.

Gloves, hooks....suit of armour, if you feel you need it, use it : victory:

Steve

·
Registered
99 Posts
Personally, i just dont see the point in wearing gloves. Nothing to do with manning up or anythin but i just find that my aggressive snake (carpet python) has never gone for my hand. It always goes for my arm or neck, normally neck. Plus as people have said, its normally really easy to avoid a bite, as soon as it pulls back into an 's' then try another approach because its going to bite u. If u choose to be a snake owner then u run a huge risk of getting tagged and once uv had a few u kinda get used to it. Its going to happen at some point. If u get bitten then u were just too slow that time lol

·
Registered
944 Posts
Personally, i just dont see the point in wearing gloves. Nothing to do with manning up or anythin but i just find that my aggressive snake (carpet python) has never gone for my hand. It always goes for my arm or neck, normally neck. Plus as people have said, its normally really easy to avoid a bite, as soon as it pulls back into an 's' then try another approach because its going to bite u. If u choose to be a snake owner then u run a huge risk of getting tagged and once uv had a few u kinda get used to it. Its going to happen at some point. If u get bitten then u were just too slow that time lol

Not all snakes "s-up" though, for example, my anaconda doesn't, he bites sideways instead of forwards and my friend has a scrub python that just calmly moves round then chomps on your hand! Not all bites can be predicted that's what I'm trying to say, I'm in full agreement with you regarding the being a snake owner you get bitten from time to time thing however sometimes gloves are a better option for some snakes

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not all snakes "s-up" though, for example, my anaconda doesn't, he bites sideways instead of forwards and my friend has a scrub python that just calmly moves round then chomps on your hand! Not all bites can be predicted that's what I'm trying to say, I'm in full agreement with you regarding the being a snake owner you get bitten from time to time thing however sometimes gloves are a better option for some snakes
Point taken, all my snakes 's-up' so i find it relatively easy to avoid most bites, i say most because bites always happen but its normally my own fault, got to say if my snake didnt 's-up' then it would probably get me everytime. thank god he doesnt know that lol. I still wouldnt wear gloves tho just for the fact when i handle my snake then i like to do just that and with gloves on it doesnt feel the same at all. Plus, u not think its better for a snake to feel whats it like for u to actually handle it rather than just feeling ur glove all the time? I have tried both approaches but my snake bit me straight through a pretty thick glove and it wasnt fun pulling bits of glove out an open wound lol. I also like to know how tight im holding the snake and gloves give u the wrong impression of that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Louise! that king is beautiful. Exactly what I want for my first snake! minus the biting part of course, but all package and parcel naturally =D
have to agree, it is a gorgeous snake. All of her snakes look gorgeous tho, all good choices. Also glad ur accepting the fact that getting bitten is part and parcel of owning a snake because i despise seeing threads saying 'OMG, my snake bit me!'. Its there only defense and a natural instinct so yeh of course it did lol. Good luck with ur first snake though and i hope u get a nice one! King snakes are notorius escape artists so watch out for that lol.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
you think thts pain come play wiv my burms there last toy quit screamin mercy hahaha..... wen yu get bit frm one of the big five, royal/corn/king bits feel like nips frm goldfish..... gloves are fr the trendy ppl yu gota grab any chance to fit in an accessory :2thumb:

always look fr the famous 'S' shape in the neck while raised n pointing at yu this is a defo strike position!
You dont work with any of the big five you work with one of the -5 (Burm worms) :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Point taken, all my snakes 's-up' so i find it relatively easy to avoid most bites, i say most because bites always happen but its normally my own fault, got to say if my snake didnt 's-up' then it would probably get me everytime. thank god he doesnt know that lol. I still wouldnt wear gloves tho just for the fact when i handle my snake then i like to do just that and with gloves on it doesnt feel the same at all. Plus, u not think its better for a snake to feel whats it like for u to actually handle it rather than just feeling ur glove all the time? I have tried both approaches but my snake bit me straight through a pretty thick glove and it wasnt fun pulling bits of glove out an open wound lol. I also like to know how tight im holding the snake and gloves give u the wrong impression of that.

I will give this anaconda 2 weeks I would have thought with the gloves on, then he should be tame enough to free handle, in regards to holding the snake, I never hold onto my snakes whilst handling,gloves or no gloves or exert any pressure onto them, it's best to let them decide were they Wana be whilst getting them tame

·
Registered
944 Posts
Louise! that king is beautiful. Exactly what I want for my first snake! minus the biting part of course, but all package and parcel naturally =D
Awwww mark I love how your posting you little egg you :)

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I did mean the comment in jest, not to insult anyone! On a more serious note, my primary concern is the well being of the animal, the teeth are very brittle (even in large snakes) so my option is the snake bites skin, or the snake bites nothing. I'd rather not let it bite gloves or similar because it may catch a tooth etc.

It is fairly easy to avoid a bite most of the time, just employ some different techniques in handing and 99% of the time you don't get bit, and the snake doesn't get trapped teeth/fibres in mouth.

Also a snake tends to stop biting quicker, in my experience when it misses multiple times, versus when they connect.
Dan i fully appreciate you made the comment in jest, my reference to the eighties was a poor attempt at humour, its an interesting point you make about if the snake misses multiple times.

catch and release

·
Registered
38 Posts
have to agree, it is a gorgeous snake. All of her snakes look gorgeous tho, all good choices. Also glad ur accepting the fact that getting bitten is part and parcel of owning a snake because i despise seeing threads saying 'OMG, my snake bit me!'. Its there only defense and a natural instinct so yeh of course it did lol. Good luck with ur first snake though and i hope u get a nice one! King snakes are notorius escape artists so watch out for that lol.

Thanks! I've got Dan_88 on side to help me get set up and I'm not having one until he's sure I'm ready for it. We're going to have a cheeky look at Doncaster. I've wanted a snake for years, I'm really excited but i'm not going to run before I can walk. Much better to be prepared!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I would never rule it out as I am pro to the idea of it. Only haven't done as yet as I get teased enough by the wife if I have to hook out the hog island when she is in shed!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I did mean the comment in jest, not to insult anyone! On a more serious note, my primary concern is the well being of the animal, the teeth are very brittle (even in large snakes) so my option is the snake bites skin, or the snake bites nothing. I'd rather not let it bite gloves or similar because it may catch a tooth etc.

It is fairly easy to avoid a bite most of the time, just employ some different techniques in handing and 99% of the time you don't get bit, and the snake doesn't get trapped teeth/fibres in mouth.

Also a snake tends to stop biting quicker, in my experience when it misses multiple times, versus when they connect.
I've never handled with gloves & I'm the biggest wimp ever, I cannot deal with pain in the slightest.. But I'd much rather the snake bit me than bit a glove, because I'm always worried about them damaging their teeth.
Ok to just to reply to a few things here. Firstly, this snake has bitten me before, without me wearing gloves. I bought him off a lady who was nervous of him as he was a bitey snake. He never actually bit her but had shown viv defensive behaviour, striking out, hissing etc so I knew what I was getting into.

I never used gloves to start with. I was well 'ard and look where it got me..

Not only did he refuse to let go but he kept walking my thumb down until he had swallowed half of it

Only when he realised he couldn't swallow me did he stop chewing but still refused to let go. I tried water, nope wasn't letting go, just had to wait for him to give in, which he did in the end.

Now when my Cali king did the same thing he did lose a tooth. I founf it in my hand 12 days after being bitten. Thankfully he was ok and no lasting damage was done. Luckily also the MBK didn't leave any teeth behind.

When he bit me yesterday on the gloved hand he didn't chew, he didn't walk his teeth round my finger, he just held on. He again refused to let go for a good 5 mins but was easier to remove than the last time. He lost no teeth.

The gloves work for me, I have no problem using them and will do again if he's in that kind of mood! I still can and do handle him without gloves. I just have to read his mood and decide at the time what I'm going to do :)

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Funny enough got bitten today while wearing gloves. The king still held on for ages and even dunking his head under the tap didn't stop him. I just waited for him to let go.

I'm glad I wore the gloves. I have been bitten by him before and it wasn't nice. I don't care how it makes me look, if I can avoid getting bitten by a snake that I know to be bitey but also one that latches on for ages, then I'm gonna use the gloves.

I was worried how hard it would be for him to unhook his teeth but he let go fine in the end and just left a layer of saliva on the glove.

good on you!!! :2thumb:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts