Reptile Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I don't see the use of gloves as anything other than sensible if that's what is required.
We've got a scrub python that I wouldn't want to handle glove-less, at least I certainly wouldn't want to get him out of the viv without some form of handling aid. I very rarely get hands on with him TBH, he's my other halfs and he does pretty much all the maintenance and we largely leave the snake to it but one of the last times I handled him he managed to coil around my hand in such a way that he dislocated two of my fingers (which HURT!) and the time after that he struck past my face in a warning shot.
He's a big lad and I've seen just how much damage he can do after we unwittingly (read stupidly) put our 'breeding pair' together without sexing them ourselves and they turned out to be two males. This big male caused some horrific lacerations to the smaller which required an operation, several long distance visits to the zoo vet we use plus visits to our local vet, about 30 stitches.... Sorry but no one can make me feel like a wimp for glove handling this snake no matter what they say!

Saying that, in general I hate using gloves simply because I just can't feel what I'm doing. I much prefer hooking which is how I handle our rear fanged stuff to avoid a bite.

Mostly with the non venomous, not-ten-foot aggressive snakes I just ignore the bites and the snakes seem to (mostly) learn that biting is pointless, gets no reaction, doesn't result in something they can eat and is generally a waste of energy. Doesn't always work like that... the stinking goddess and one of the cali's will bite me apparently just for the fun of it!

I actually very rarely get bitten however last night I managed to get got by the annie and one of the savu pythons. Midnight is apparently a bad time to be disturbing snakes! lol...

So to me, the use of gloves is sensible, especially if you find getting bitten knocks your confidence.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I'm with twiglet.

I have two snakes that can have "mood swings", My adult female BCI and my yearling scrub python, I'd rather feel what im doing then have gloves on and close control of the animal.

i had problem picking up my female BCI till recently when i was in a rather ratty mood, couldn't be bothered with her posturing and just picked her up, I believe the fact that i showed confidence in what i was doing and didn't act nervy around her made her calm down.

If we get a neonate BCI who is hissing at us (after i have stopped laughing at how cute it is) i will just pick up the snake without issue which normally results in the snake calming down, show confidence in what your doing, keep calm and away you go.

But this is just my opinion

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I'm with twiglet.

I have two snakes that can have "mood swings", My adult female BCI and my yearling scrub python, I'd rather feel what im doing then have gloves on and close control of the animal.

i had problem picking up my female BCI till recently when i was in a rather ratty mood, couldn't be bothered with her posturing and just picked her up, I believe the fact that i showed confidence in what i was doing and didn't act nervy around her made her calm down.

If we get a neonate BCI who is hissing at us (after i have stopped laughing at how cute it is) i will just pick up the snake without issue which normally results in the snake calming down, show confidence in what your doing, keep calm and away you go.

But this is just my opinion
Couldn't agree with you more hun. I've found with boas in particular that if you pussyfoot around them then you WILL get nailed. If you go in and grab they seem to just accept it. Pythons seem to prefer a more gentle approach I find.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more hun. I've found with boas in particular that if you pussyfoot around them then you WILL get nailed. If you go in and grab they seem to just accept it. Pythons seem to prefer a more gentle approach I find.

totally agree, the scrub for sure take more gentle handling, you pull her around or move to quickly you'll get nailed but she's still an upstart baby so hopefully will calm down with age and handling, still even as she grows her handling will be different to the others.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
And ratsnakes just hate you regardless :devil:

I do tend to have a little s****** at people wearing gloves, and before anyone says, I laugh at myself when I put mine on! I have a very, very thin pair of gloves to use with my everglades rat. He's nasty, just pure evil and I don't really enjoy being bitten by him so I do wear gloves. However he's the only snake that I know will go for me without fail, so he's the only one I wear gloves with. If anyone else gets me, I chalk it up to experience :lol2:

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I have a carpet i use gloves with as hes a nutcase, hes fine being handled with gloves, but as soon as they come off he will bite me and hang on. Think its the heat of my hand.

I currently use gloves with my bosc aswell, to get him out the viv, with him though once i have hold if him i take the gloves off :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
At the end of the day people should do what they feel comfortable with and what works best for them,everybody has different ways of doing things so if it means handling with gloves then so be it.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I've used gloves with bitey buggers in the past and see no shame in it! I've had bites too and two were actually painful and bruised badly and mine aren't big snakes, they just have a lot of pressure when they "mean" it. One of our boas took 3 years to calm down, puppy dog soft now, but would latch onto your eyeball if it thought it could reach!! She gave no warning, no hiss, posture, just an attitude of "I'll taste that!!" Gloves every time with that little madam! :lol2:

We use soft, leather gardening gloves, no fibres, no threads for snagging teeth and easily cleaned. I don't think it poses any more of a threat to a snake's teeth if you use gloves, in fact I'd say less. You're less likely to pull away, jump or panic, which can pull teeth out/break them off, as it doesn't hurt. In fact the only tooth ever pulled, was left in my hand when not wearing gloves by our male BRB when he thought fingers were on the menu! I tried to "unlatch" him, but he'd caught me so off guard, I think I was a bit rough. Ran him under the tap, that did the trick! Gloves are also good for removing eggs from narky mums, so I hear!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I don't use gloves or a hook, but I have no problem with anyone else doing it. Maybe I should try it myself :whistling2:
I only have one bitey snake, and although it leads me a merry dance every day to get it out of the viv (It WANTS to come out all the time, but is so food orientated that any movement is dinner :gasp:) Once he is out, he is very managable 99% of the time and gets a "room roam" every day, but he will bite me without any warning, roughly once a month (and I never take my eyes off him while handling!) I have no idea why he does it, but he only ever goes for skin. Gloves would often be a waste as I can't get them to stay on my ears or knees :blush:
I've kept snakes for a long long time, but this one is the only one that is truely unpredictable. It's not nervous, and believe it or not, I don't think that it's particularly aggressive. It's just a bit mad!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
im using gloves for my king rat purely because A. he needs to be held and im fed up with bleeding and B. he nails me every time but once hes chilled out then i will remove them just want to get him to calm down first and realise biting gets him no where

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I prefer a hook usually with bitey snakes however I will wear gloves when handling my green anaconda till he has tamed down a little as the hook makes him more defensive/aggressive.purely and simply because he is wild caught and they can carry some nasties like tetanus and potentially rabies, everything else has bit me before without gloves,it's purely a personal preference really, some use gloves and others don't I have nothing against the people that use them, what ever works best for handling that particular snake
I never know snakes could carry rabies :gasp: I always thought that was purely a mammalian disease. You learn something new every day eh?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Luckily, none of my snakes have bitten, or even tried. I've no doubt that it will happen eventually. I'll make a judgement on gloves if and when this happens!

I have two Tokays, which always bite. Whilst small, it's just as easy to let them get it out of their system, to be honest. As adults, though, they can and will draw blood. Nevertheless, I find it easier to get hold of them without gloves. They will hurt me, but with gloves on, I could accidentally do much worse to them. I'm not prepared to risk that.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts