Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, daisy my royal has got quite defencive latley, she was not overly confident but latley i cant even put my hand in her viv without her tagging me. People have suggested wearing gloves, does this actually work, and when i stop using gloves will she just start biting again? Im really determined to tame her up but she does scare me

I was wondering, she and the other snakes accomodate the spare room, i am the only person to go in there once a day at least, if i put her in a higher traffic area do you tink she wouldnt be so nurvous when she sees me, i know this could go the complete wrong way, but when i mean higher traffic area i mean my room, which im in more than the spare room
Just an idea

help appreciated
Thanks

P.S i have moved her viv about 5 inch to the left to accomodate another tank, other than that its the only change i have made.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
its wierd when you wear gloves they dont bite its like they know but take them of and they bite again :lol2:

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
your hand gives off heat, but when u wear the glove it stops most the heat coming out so there isnt so much heat coming off you so the snake doesnt bite: victory:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
its wierd when you wear gloves they dont bite its like they know but take them of and they bite again :lol2:
I'm not sure I'd fully agree with that, just because you wear gloves it doesn't mean that they wont bite. If your really nervous then I'd wear gloves. Once your snake is on a regular handling routine the gloves shouldn't make any difference. I'm sure that Bretts Balls will tell you - once you get the first bite out of the way you'll be laughing. Nothing to be scared of.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, she has already bit me several times, but when i see her reeve up i really dont want to stick my hand in, im a chicken lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
just curious does it matter what colour gloves you wear? ie if you wore bright yellow would they notice this? just a thought.. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
to be honest thats why I like rubs ,I find that royals are far easier to pick up from the top, in a viv you have to go in at their level and they feel like they are under attack.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I use one glove to remove the BRBs from their vivs, once out i slip the glove off. A big reason why a snake may bite is that if you are nervous, your body temp increases and you give off a lot of scent. Also when nervous, people tend to be jumpy which can provoke a bite.
Just try using one glove to remove your snake, then once out take it off:2thumb: You'll be much more confident: victory:

·
Registered
179 Posts
i think it does work. i had a few feisty boas and i handeled them with gloves for a few weeks then the calmed down...
anyway trying it will not do any harm

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
> Just try using one glove to remove your snake, then once out take it of
> :2thumb: You'll be much more confident: victory:

I'm a wuss handling snakes. I do the above most of the time.
I think it's all about confidence. If you go straight in and take the snake you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I had a viv defensive cali king, and although the bites didn't hurt, it was the antipation that got to me. So I wore gloves when I got him out, and could take them off once he was out cos then he was fine.
The gloves didn't stop him going for me, but they gave me the confidence to get him out of the viv without worrying about whether he bit me or not. : victory:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I personally think its a confident thing...i dont believe in the heat thing as my hands sweat and get even hotter with gloves on...

The thing with snakes is they will strike/bite at soemthing they can work on....if your nervous and scared abit then your hands begin to shake and quiver..so as you move closer to the snake you begin to edge your hand in and when the snake moves to you, you pull your hand back .....your giving a inch and the snakes taking a mile...the more you do this the more confidence the snake gets....so it starts to bite and strike as it knows your going to bugger off the more it does it.......

but when you have gloves on you know the snake wont hurt you or latch on to you even if it did bite your hand because you have gloves on, so you have nothing to be nervous about....and because your not shaking,edgeing your hand in the snake has no reason to attack you.....

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I wear gloves with some (the nasty ones) and don't bother with others!

It's been prooven you can get 2 snakes from the same clutch, where one could be calm as you like, where as the other will bite in an instant!

If you like to get bitten (too kinky for my taste, as I'm not into that sms stuff) where gloves if your snake is a bit fiesty, then if (and if means exactly that) you get it tamer, try handling without gloves!

I know for a fact my female diamond intergrade CP would have bitten me numerous times!

As WWL has said, the heat thing doesn't play into it, as mine bites me even when I wear gloves!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts