Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's my office right now at 8:30pm

Naturally vivarium isn't coping too well

(PS: Don't judge the set temps obviously as it all depends where the probe is)

One of my solution (apart from ordering an aircon) is - I fed her lol ...

She like most snakes uses hot side after a feed for a while. She seems to sit in her hot hide for three days after feeding and then in her water until she poops 4 days later and whilst it was too early really to feed her, I did anyway as an excuse for her to be 'hot'.

So by the time she poops the temps will be going down ish (and maybe aircon will be here) ...

And of course she will have to wait for another meal for maybe 6 or 7 weeks now. She had a jumbo rat only 2.5 weeks ago and she now had a medium rabbit ... so treadmill for a few weeks for her ...

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
We've got 27c in the lounge with a draft through as both windows are open, with 21.6c outside at 21:30hrs BST

Vivs upstairs were 31c at the cool end, and stats were barely coming on....the snakes are coping better than my corals in the reef tank... even with fans blowing on the sump the tank is getting too warm !

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just glad I got a tub for her to soak fully. I think despite the fact she uses hot side when feeding. Bit too hot still. I liked her idea of a bath so went into a cool jacuzzi myself lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Crazy weather. I really ought to set up contingency plans.

I keep half my collection in my son’s bedroom (attic).
Was ok over the weekend, as I could pour/spray water on roof tiles to reduce heat gain.
But this morning decided to move a rainbow boa down a floor into my study, and into a temporary RUB.

Been working away from home today and started to get concerned, so phoned for help.
Temps had reached 31’C by 2pm.

So my wife and my Dad managed to put on 2 fans, bucket of water with a towel wicking, and was all ok when I later got home.

I heard about warnings with keeping reptiles in an attic, but up until now, it had not become a concern.

I won’t be feeding any of the attic snakes until the heat wave passes - the additional heat generated from metabolising the food could make it worse?

·
Registered
98 Posts
…...the snakes are coping better than my corals in the reef tank... even with fans blowing on the sump the tank is getting too warm !
Ouch, hope the corals make it ok!
Maybe keep lighting off for extended periods.
I have a cold water hill stream setup, and although that had reached 27’C, they can all cope short term.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Ouch, hope the corals make it ok!
Maybe keep lighting off for extended periods.
I have a cold water hill stream setup, and although that had reached 27’C, they can all cope short term.
Lights are dimmed, and reduced timings, pumps are turned up to circulate more water and help keep the O2 up. The only issue with the fans is it increases evaporation, and even with a small tank like mine it can lose 2 ltr a day in this heat ! - the drawback is the tank / sump is in a n understairs cupboard with a hole in the wall (gives a living picture effect in the main room) so that doesn't help either... Snakes are fine....Even the Bairds Rat snake isn't showing signs of stress !

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the additional heat generated from metabolising the food could make it worse?
Think about it. Most snakes go to the hot side anyway to digest so if heat would be an issue when eating they wouldn’t do that. Besides, in my case the temps don’t exceed the hot side. It’s more like the cool side is as hot as the hot. And she got a 36L tub to cool down.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yepp. It’s just a Tuesday lol. Plus if you check the BCI localities in particular, the range of temperatures are all over the place. You can have areas with 17c and others with 40c. I would argue BCIs are one of the easier snakes to get right lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts