Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to start weighing my snake (just for my own records) but I wouldnt know where to begin :shock:

I've been told of people putting snakes in tubs (having zeroed the tub first on scales) or using the "snake in a bag" trick.

What do you think the best method and set of (reasonably priced) scales are?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
tub on digital scale,then zero,add snake and hey presto an accurate weight,simple as that
regards gaz

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I find that they stay quieter in a bag or pillowcase (in the scale's bowl).

Tubs are easier so if yours are calm enough go with that method, or even straight into the scale's bowl if using kitchen scales - as long as they're only used for snakes!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Check out Argos or any kitchenware store, they'll have a decent set of cheap digital scales in there so there's no need to fork out for anything too fancy 8)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I got postage scales for about £20.00 on ebay that go up to 30 kgs and weigh in pounds grams and kilos. Put tub on scales zero then put snake in tub and weigh very simple, I use a shoe box as tub.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks maki I was just about to ask what weight the scales should go up to. Does anybody weigh their snakes in a bag from fishing scales? as I've heard some people use this method to great effect and would like to find out about this before I decide which type of scales to buy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Fishing scales aren't too good as you have to keep really still and steady to use them...

What snakes are you weighing? Most kitchen scales go up to 2-3kg which is enough for a lot of the small to mid-sized snake species, whilst the postal ones maki is on about sound great for larger species 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts