Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently found this weird thing on the underside of one of my hatchlings (this is my first clutch) and it may be completely fine and I just need to give it time to fall of but I’m not sure so if somebody can tell me what it is and what they reccomend I do if anything that would be appreciated
Thanks
Toby

Attachments

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
In 30 years of breeding snakes, I have never seen anything like that.
Vet trip in the morning.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for sharing your obs; it is always good to see contrasting obs even if possible issues with our animals.

Yesterday, I visited Jungle Reptiles, Iver Heath. Small shop, but good variety and friendly staff.

Bought some Tamodine solution for a ‘first aid kit’, and just in case.

I would keep the wound clean!

Malc might know better than me, but would be cautious about having a damp substrate, if this could sustain infective bacteria? I would be inclined to keep contact surfaces dry?

Not sure I would book a vet just yet, but it’s your call. If the umbilical wound doesn’t contract and heal up then yes.
If the developmental issue relates to GI, then perhaps this hatchling won’t progress into feeding, and consult on humane euthanasia, but I wonder if this won’t just heal up on its own.

Any developmental issues, and inclined not to ever use in future breeding.

Best of luck, and please keep us updated, if you are happy to share.

Andy

·
Registered
988 Posts
Put on damp paper towel and leave for a week, if still the same a vet may be needed. Though usually things like this resolve themself

·
Registered
160 Posts
Q for Tom & Malc

Reasoning for the damp paper?

Reducing snagging/friction, or to aid smearing off blood residue, or other purpose?

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Q for Tom & Malc

Reasoning for the damp paper?

Reducing snagging/friction, or to aid smearing off blood residue, or other purpose?
Basically all the above. Plus it is more sterile than a loose substrate. Until the vet has seen it and can advise you otherwise, it's often better to try and keep the wound clean and moist as sometimes scabbing can hide what's going on underneath.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gotcha, cheers Malc.

Am sure I would use kitchen roll for injured snakes, and do for quarantining in the most part, but
I would still need convincing on the damping?
First aid advice usually emphasis on cleaning the wound then protecting or leaving to air. That said, if I was also changing over the kitchen roll whenever there was any discolouration, that is comparable to changing wound dressing……

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I'm not a vet so can't say one way or another. With something like an injury where the snake has suffered a cut then normally you would clean the wound, possibly with an iodine based solution or similar sterile wash, and then leave the snake on dry paper. But in this case the snake has what I would class as a prolapse or deformity as the umbilical region hasn't formed completely. If it became dry the area could stick to the paper and cause the snake more discomfort, or encourage it to scab over. It might be an issue if that happened if whatever is coming through the cavity needs to be pushed back in.... Now if the vet had performed surgery and the wound was closed then dry kitchen towel would be fine IMO.

But like I say, I'm not a vet, and hopefully the OP heeded our advice and contacted the vets and they have diagnosed the issue and treated the snake. Hopefully this thread will be updated soon, rather than it fade away without any further posts form the OP ???

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wet paper towel has another good use - avoid anything sticking to the tub. If something moist stays on the same spot on plastic and dries up, it tends to stick. Now if whatever that is dries up whilst she is on a bare tub, it might make it more sore. I learned it a hard way when 15 years ago a snake that had surgery kept ripping open a sutured wound and I had nothing in the tub thinking it was the best way. It indeed dries out on that plastic and stuck to it as plasma and pus and stuff is actually sticky too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts