Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My leo has developed an annoying habit where he wont eat whilst im standing there which means feeding ever so difficult... he also wont touch any live food that is covered in calcium, he prefers it straight off my finger. so everyday i let him do this :/

I am wary about leaving him alone with the live food (which is mealworms as hes never wants to chase after crickets). i got and remove what evers left after like 15 mins but i still dont like leaving them in there with him... he wont eat out a bowl of plate either so the mealies pretty much have a free roam for that 15 mins in which they seem to get very far.

am i ok using this routine of feeding him or should i try and encourage him to eat in front of me?

hes not scared of me and lets me pick him up happily and will happily eat a waxie in front of me but just not his normal staple

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
Why do you let the mealworms free roam? If you use a dish, then you can leave the mealworms with your leo 24/7 and he can eat when he wants to. There are a variety of dishes you can use if he is picky where he eats from.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you let the mealworms free roam? If you use a dish, then you can leave the mealworms with your leo 24/7 and he can eat when he wants to. There are a variety of dishes you can use if he is picky where he eats from.
i have tried a mealie dish and he wont go near it and i have tried a more plate like dish and he wont go near it... the only way he will eat is off the floor so i dont really have a choice :(... i take them out after 15 mins and normally only 1 or 2 left.... i have even taken out the back board so i cant miss any because then seem to hide in there

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,619 Posts
If you get a clear dish he will be able to see the mealies better. I use large clear caster cups for B&Q. They are low enough for the Leo to get good access to the worms but high enough that not too many escape. He has probably got into the habit of you feeding him. If he is an adult of a good weight then just put the bowl in and let him get on with it. He will eat when he is hungry. Also IF he is an adult then they don't need to feed every day anyway so perhaps he just isn't that bothered because he isn't that hungry.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If you get a clear dish he will be able to see the mealies better. I use large clear caster cups for B&Q. They are low enough for the Leo to get good access to the worms but high enough that not too many escape. He has probably got into the habit of you feeding him. If he is an adult of a good weight then just put the bowl in and let him get on with it. He will eat when he is hungry. Also IF he is an adult then they don't need to feed every day anyway so perhaps he just isn't that bothered because he isn't that hungry.
when i tried a clear dish with one of my males it took him 15 mins to work out he couldnt get them from the side lol
but he figured it out in the end

good advice from jools as always would offer mealies in a bowl and monitor weight weekly some of mine dive straight into the bowl when i feed some may not even go near it for hours. couple i hardly ever see feed but the worms dissappear and their weights are fine.

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,619 Posts
when i tried a clear dish with one of my males it took him 15 mins to work out he couldnt get them from the side lol
but he figured it out in the end
Yes I had this trouble with a couple of mine til I tried these furniture casters. They are fairly wide and are low enough that the Leo isn't looking in at the sides of them - I'm sure you know what I mean. They are cheap as well. Only downside is that a few mealies will escape - but then they will out of almost anything :lol2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts