Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys here is my pics as promised :)

This is Milkyway and his new home, very big thank u to WEST COAST REPTILES who supplied him, great people, would highly recommend.

I just finished his enclosure 2min back thought I'd show it off :mf_dribble:

Put bedding in (heat mat underneath then 2tiles on top of that)

Secured light and light guard on :)

I made him a house out of a cardboard box, took me 1min lol

Here is it finished :)

Here is Milkyway in it for his 1st time :)

Hope u all like him cause i do :mf_dribble: :flrt:

Thanks, Fraser

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
aww he's gorgeous!:flrt:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aw, he'll love that fraser! Let us know how he gets on :), and remember anything else your needing for him just give us a shout,
Glad your happy :)

WCR
Yehh im happy, thank u very much for everything, will glady let u know if i need anything :) Like maybe a female for him haha, but thats a while down the line...

Fraser

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
what thermostats do you use as i am in the market for 1 or 2
I always go for Habistat thermostats as they are reliable, safe and come with a 5 year guarantee.

What stat are you using for Milky Way at the moment?

Oh and by the way Milky Way is stunning!!!!! Congrats :2thumb:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always go for Habistat thermostats as they are reliable, safe and come with a 5 year guarantee.

I said i put the heat mat in but it is not actually on so i don't have a stat :( I use the spot bulb on its own and it gives me good temps without the mat on. I only put the mat in so it saves hassell later if the mat needs to go on.

I have 2 thermometers in the viv, 1 directly under spot bulb and 1 buried under aspen underneath spot bulb. The unburied thermometer gives of a reading of 89.1 degred F and the burried one gives of a reading of 83.7 degres F.

Hope thats ok :blush: he seams happy enough, he is currently buried under the aspen with his head peeking out underneath a plant, Haha, so cute :)

Fraser :2thumb:

·
Registered
351 Posts

Always? Realy? Seems like just the other day you were asking if you really needed one. :lol2:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Always? Realy? Seems like just the other day you were asking if you really needed one. :lol2:

People are known to change their minds :2thumb: When you're told by several reptile shops you don't need one you ger confused!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I have 2 thermometers in the viv, 1 directly under spot bulb and 1 buried under aspen underneath spot bulb. The unburied thermometer gives of a reading of 89.1 degred F and the burried one gives of a reading of 83.7 degres F.
That's too hot!

A 90 degree hot spot is not a problem, but s/he NEEDS somewhere a lot cooler to escape.

You need a place of 78 degree maximum for him/her to get away from the heat if s/he requires.

Snakes in general (especially a hardy snake like a Corn Snake) will die a great deal quicker being too hot rather than too cool!

My advice in your current situation: Put the heat mat (on the outside) UNDER the viv covering one quarter to one third of the viv.

You can do without a thermostat for now. That way s/he can come off it if s/he gets too hot and come back on if s/he gets too cool.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
lol, i hate duff info from pet shops :censor:
I know, I wsas so annoyed. When I bought my corn Checkers I was told I didn't need a stat. I then visited another reptile shop and again was told a stat wasn't needed!

It is much better to be safe than sorry and as Checkers is my baby I would not risk his life for anything :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's too hot!

A 90 degree hot spot is not a problem, but s/he NEEDS somewhere a lot cooler to escape.

You need a place of 78 degree maximum for him/her to get away from the heat if s/he requires.

Snakes in general (especially a hardy snake like a Corn Snake) will die a great deal quicker being too hot rather than too cool!

My advice in your current situation: Put the heat mat (on the outside) UNDER the viv covering one quarter to one third of the viv.

You can do without a thermostat for now. That way s/he can come off it if s/he gets too hot and come back on if s/he gets too cool.
My vivs hot end is 86F and the cool end is 75F plus the heat mat is on the outisde.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's too hot!

The heat mat is only half the viv size, he has a large cooling area which is where his house is too so he can cool down in the shade. I wont be using the heatmat as my light provides enough heat.

My cool side temps are - (will post them soon)

Thanks, Fraser

1 - 20 of 70 Posts