Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have two sub-adult beardies, they are extremely tame, jump onto my hand when i open the viv,
run up the legs of visitors to say hi when they have free rein of the house,
ride around on my dogs back and are basically very friendly and totally non aggressive.
today however, both, but particularly the smaller one, have been showing an unusual interest in my hands,
particularly my nails- the little one keeps trying to eat them!!
it took a while but i finally worked out why.
i've painted my nails a lovely irridescent shade of purple!!!!!
apparently my lovely purple nails now look like FOOD to my beardies, lolol.
has this happened to anyone else?
does anyone know why purple particularly would look edible to beardies?
or are they attracted to them because the shade is irridescent and appears to change?
maybe that makes them seem to move and sets off the beardies prey instincts?
does anyone know what shade i CAN paint my nails that the beardies wont want to eat??
and does anyone else think beardies are just totally ace and endlessly entertaining?
it doesnt matter how long you've been keeping them for or how much you think you know,
they just keep surprising you with new and fascinating behaviours!!!
gotta love em :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
my chuckwallas do the same with anything thats brightly coloured their favourite colour nail pollish is blue and red loll
u would probably be ok with black or colours that are pastel coloured so very very light blues and pinks should be ok its just the bright colours look like flowers and fruit the same colours they would normally eat is what i reckon. i really cant wear anything yellow coz my chucks love dandelions and then i look like a big tasty lizard sweetie loll.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lololol,
really? you cant wear yellow? thats sooo funny
thanks for the reply, very helpful,
think i'll try black!!
they tried to eat a pocket in my sons jeans cos it was green too!
very entertaining :)

·
Banned
7,935 Posts
i have two sub-adult beardies, they are extremely tame, jump onto my hand when i open the viv,
ride around on my dogs back and are basically very friendly and totally non aggressive.
today however, both, but particularly the smaller one, have been showing an unusual interest in my hands,
or are they attracted to them because the shade is irridescent and appears to change?
does anyone know what shade i CAN paint my nails that the beardies wont want to eat??
and does anyone else think beardies are just totally ace and endlessly entertaining?
it doesnt matter how long you've been keeping them for or how much you think you know,
i agree beardies are ace:no1:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Funny enough my beardie always eats the purple leaf you get in the mixed salad bag before the rest .. he actually looks for it now... tossing out the other leaves to get to it.. caught him in the act today :lol2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aaaw!! theyre all different arent they?
mine both ignore leafy stuff of any colour until the apple and cucumber have gone!!
bless

·
Registered
70 Posts
lol
i wear a dark blue sapphire ring and one beardie in particulary thinks its a juicy cricket and tries to prise it off my finger :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
lololol,
really? you cant wear yellow? thats sooo funny
thanks for the reply, very helpful,
think i'll try black!!
they tried to eat a pocket in my sons jeans cos it was green too!
very entertaining :)
yup no yellow loll yh anything that looks remotely like food they will try and eat my tortoise trys to eat my shoes and was trying to eat the washing through the washing basket loll.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've painted mine all sorts of colours and they seem to go for the orangey/red and the yellow ones. Funny stuff :2thumb:

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Beardies are magpies with scales :2thumb:

·
Registered
742 Posts
mine go for my red purple or green nails lol also a purple ring i have so funny they are just so entertaining definately my favourite lizard:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts