Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am wondering wether i would need a DWA license for this snake,
as my mum said i can have a snake or lizard as long as it doesnt grow too big.

i know they are rear fanged venomous snakes but i was wondering wether this is as bad as any other type of snake, i know that i may be allergic to the venom but then again i may not.

and what size viv would i have to keep one in

and would i be able to convert my old tropical fish tank ( i think its 3ft by 2ft) into a suitible home for this snake ?

thanks

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hoggies are fantastic snakes to keep, and even though they are rear fanged and venomous they do not require DWA, They are verry reluctant to bite and many venomous bites are caused by a feeding responce, as adults they will happily live in a 2x1x1 viv so a 3x2 will be more than ideal.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
told her they are rear fanged venomous like an idiot ): :bash:
Haha bless ya Calz i give you respect for your persistance, Im not against you having a snake (even though im scared of them!) but dont want one that will be difficult for you to handle for your first snake!! AND theres a four year old in the house to consider! a bite from one might not be harmful for you or me but might be a different story if it bites your sister!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah but she would be with us
and she wont touch a mouse will she
even if it is dead

AND they arent known to bite that often apparently

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Hognoses are extremely easy to handle and generally reluctant to bite. They stay a small size (under 3ft) and are nice and chunky so easy to hold on to.

They don't wrap round you like a corn or boid, and tent not to make quick movements to get away, once in your hand.

Picking them up in the first place is a little trickier, and is the best thing about these snakes IF you can deal with it - they can be very defensive, and have a wide range of defensive behaviour designed to scare you and make you leave them alone. They will hiss loudly, flatten their necks, adopt strike possition and even headbut you! (with a closed mouth). In the wild they will also play dead and emit the smell of rotting flesh, but they don't tend to do this in captivity!

But all this is almost always entirely bluff, actual bites are rare, I've never been bitten by one of mine, even though they would all like me to think they're gonna eat me!! The few cases of bite reported that have led to a reaction come from feeding mistakes where the snake has the scent of food and the keeper makes a mistake. The snake would need to chew on yuor hand to get the fangs into position.

So, this behaviour can be very intimidating for a new keeper, but if you can put up with it and just pick them up, you will find they are a very charming, docile and easy to handle snakes.

Care and maintenance is also very easy, although they can go off food at times, this is not a problem for them, but may be for you ;)

Hope that helps : victory:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
As for the 4 year old in the house ive got a 2 and 4 year old also have a hognose ive got no worrys the bite is no worse then say a bee sting im sure the hog would proberly hurt less.

with the guy you can find on google who had the badly swollen arm that guy let the snake hold on for like 20 minutes even then that was like a one off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
lol mightn end up coming back from my work experience with one :) :lol2:
thanks anyway people
i just picked mine up about 1 hour ago and hes settling into his home very niicely :D (check pic section for pics lol)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Haha bless ya Calz i give you respect for your persistance, Im not against you having a snake (even though im scared of them!) but dont want one that will be difficult for you to handle for your first snake!! AND theres a four year old in the house to consider! a bite from one might not be harmful for you or me but might be a different story if it bites your sister!
I can see where you are coming from, but lets face it, a dog will (and all to offen do) do more damage if it bit your four year old.

Just a thought.

Jay

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
This is Bonnie and Clyde, I got them about 2 months ago, (my first and only snakes), they are 09.

This is Bonnie, she does the whole hissing striking thing, every time I get her out to feed she will head butt my finger, and yes, I jump every time :devil:

This is Clyde, he never hisses, or strikes, he just runs away :flrt:

Good luck

Jay

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Well I think you need to suck up to your mum, maybe wash the dishes for a month....Do the ironing....Clean the house....?

: victory:

Good luck

Jay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts