Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

New to the site (although not new to reptiles!), got a spare viv (15 x 15 x 24) and am looking for a nice, small, friendly snake to keep in it. Don't want a snake that will out grow it and force me to buy yet another viv, leaving me with an empty viv that of course has to filled yet again... Thinking about Western Hognose and after any general advice or alternative suggestions.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Hoggies are a good choice. Don't think there is much more you could consider. Well, nothing you could handle anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
your western hognose could grow to 3 foot which by my calculations is to big for that viv. i cant think of a snake you could house in there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
its an arboreal viv, which makes it tricky, personally i would choose to house a smaller arboreal species of lizard in their rather then a snake

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Rosy boas can get quite big I'm sure. Bigger than should be house in that tank. I didn't read the viv size properly. You'll probably need to upgrade.
Sand Boas however, they prefer a smaller viv, don't they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, have been an idiot! Its 24 long by 15 deep by 15 high.

The information I've been given by my local reptile expert who breeds Hognoses says this viv will be too big and the snake will be scared by so much space. It seems unlikely to me so long as he/she has hidings buts it's really hard as people continually have conflicting opinions on these sort of issues when all I want to do is give a good home to a happy reptile.

Thanks for the feedback so far:)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
JL said:
sorry, have been an idiot! Its 24 long by 15 deep by 15 high.

The information I've been given by my local reptile expert who breeds Hognoses says this viv will be too big and the snake will be scared by so much space. It seems unlikely to me so long as he/she has hidings buts it's really hard as people continually have conflicting opinions on these sort of issues when all I want to do is give a good home to a happy reptile.

Thanks for the feedback so far:)
What rubbish! An adult hog will NOT be too small for a tank that size and it wont be scared by the space :lol: A male would be fine in that tank as an adult - clearly if you buy a hatchling you should keep it in a smaller hatchling tub to begin with.

I have kept adult females in 3ft vivs and adult males in 2ft cubes quite happily, so the tank is most certainly not too large! I would however go for a male as a large female hog could potentially outgrow the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not first snake - got a 13 year old corn snake which I've had since hatchling. (also got beardie, three berbers and two tortoises!). Thanks for the info on hogs, had a feeling that the viv would not be too big - that's why I thought I'd ask...

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i quite like hoggies, but the misses wouldnt let me have any

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Aaw why not, theyre miles more fun than those silly corns of yours :p
Actually I think theyre really sweet, funny to snakes to watch. Mine soends half his time climbing the side of the tank and falling over :lol:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
PendleHog said:
theyre miles more fun than those silly corns of yours :p
Actually I think theyre really sweet, funny to snakes to watch. Mine soends half his time climbing the side of the tank and falling over :lol:
So true! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yes, they're lovely snakes - mine is always inquisitive when I open her viv and will nudge against me for a scratch on her head. They seem to be such characters with their little upturned noses. I think a male hoggy would be nice for your viv they are a lot smaller than the females.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
expert who breeds Hognoses says this viv will be too big and the snake will be scared by so much space
I had a male and female in a 4 foot long aquarium. Mind you I had alot of sand/dirt mixture for them to burrow in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts