Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i used to have one. unfortuately i was 9 and didnt look after it properly. it was the best snake. there around £35-£120. they CAN be kept in a minumim of 24"-12"-12". But i personally think that hognoses need a little room to roam. i used to keep mine in a 36"-18"-12" (w-d-h) hope it helps :)

i'm hopefully gettin one for christmas so cant wait!

·
Registered
675 Posts
lol - I didn't have any of my own pets til I'd finished uni! I got a pair of rankins - and i just can't stop! Hoggies are gorgeous - hope you get a nice one! Why such a huge price range tho?
Depends on their size and colouration etc! I got my green hoggie as a baby and paid £80 which i thought was a bargain that was two years ago tho!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is definately diggers best pic aint he cute!

·
Registered
675 Posts
the real dark brown colour is nice too and wouldnt be too expensive cos their classed as a normal me thinks!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
was from my local reptile shop city reptiles in belfast it is a great place and the guys in it know their stuff! Get good prices cos they know i am a soft touch for new things and anything reptilian!!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
wow you got a olive for £80? were from? reptile show?
You shouldnt be paying a penny more for an "olive" as you would any other hognose, it is not a morph nor it is proven to be genetic. At best it is a sugegestion of locale - and frankly I'm not that comfortable saying that!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Lol no worries, at the end of the day if you really like the snake it is worth more to you and thats fair enough. I just dont want people buying them thinking they are something theyre not :)

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pendlehog

Pendlehog - don't know if you saw yesterday - me and another guy were wondering if you could put a sticky up about all the abreviations that confuse people like me. for instance - I didn't kow what a CWD was (obviously i do know what a water dragon is coz i've kept two!), just one example out of a hundred. And while you're here - what do you think a good price for a hoggie is? from a breeder and from a shop. do you know of anyone who breeds them here?

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
hoggies r the b*ll**ks!!!! u gota get 1! :whip:
i paid 50 for my female western, growing like a weed!! need 2 update pics!! i wanna get a male 2 try breeding them, also i would like an eastern because they flare thier hoods more!!!
i keep mine in a 2 ft viv at the mo but will b moving 2 a three when ive stopped buyin more snakes!! (waitin 4 a brb!!!! + more royals!!!!)
:mf_dribble::mf_dribble::mf_dribble::mf_dribble:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
At the last Essex reptile show there were loads of 07 hoggies for £35 and they appear on the classified ads for £35 to £50 regularly. Brilliant little snakes -I have 6 of varying ages at the moment.

The males stay quite a bit smaller than the females generally so can make do in a 2ft viv no problem but a bit bigger never hurts. For a big female I would give it a 3ft tank.

They love to burrow around - my little ones do well on aspen but the bigger ones are on wood chips. All mine are fed on large panels of cork bark in the vivs though - to minimise the risk of ingesting substrate.

Well all the ones that eat in the tanks anyway - two of them come out of the viv after the food and usually eat it hanging from the edge of the tank :smile:

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
i would say EMMAS ARK '82's hognose is a hypo green, which is proven, can't remember if its simple recessive or co - dom, i hope co dom because i have a hypo green male and a normal female i will be breeding, £80 is a good price for a young hypo green hoggie, thats how much i paid for mine.
crystal palace reps has on their site a cb 05 hypo green for £149.95.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i would say EMMAS ARK '82's hognose is a hypo green, which is proven, can't remember if its simple recessive or co - dom, i hope co dom because i have a hypo green male and a normal female i will be breeding, £80 is a good price for a young hypo green hoggie, thats how much i paid for mine.
crystal palace reps has on their site a cb 05 hypo green for £149.95.
Thanks for that i thought i was going silly, but then im not really into the genetics side of things!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts