Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i went out today to fetch some frozen mice for my king which is a pain in the *** because its an hour long trip for me and i have to go on the bus (bloody expensive!) but when i got there i saw live mice for sale and decided id breed them and hence save myself the money and journey. only problem is as soon as i got them home they started humping, im sure within a month or two im going to have a house full! so i got to thinking........the female mouse is about a quarter of the size of the male (small mouse) which is actually what my snake feeds on at the moment! i think maybe i should feed the female to 'fluffy' my snake but i cant bring myself to do it because she is just too damn cute! damn me and my animal loving ways! its so much easier if there already dead..............what do you think?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
A few things,

You have a breeding female that is 1/4 the size of the male??? That sounds very small to me. I may be wrong but that sounds wrong.

Or do you mean 25% smaller???

Either way surely feeding the female to your snake will mean no more babies????

Also is it not illegal to feed live in the UK??? Not that I'm saying don't but just to let you know. You also need to be cautious of the mouse harming your snake whilst being constricted.

If you are going to feed the mouse pre-killed then how are you going to kill them??? The only way I know of is carbon dioxide. Anything else I can think of is messy apart from freezing, but if youre an animal lover then thats not really gonna happen. Prehaps you could make something using in conjunction with a bottle of soda or something??? Or electrocute some how????

Its much easier with pre-killed frozen though. Just not as cheap. But then again you don't have to grow the mice to the correct size which takes time and a small amount of cash.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Sorry but I think it's definitely not a good idea.

Before you even thought about breeding your own mice, you should have thought about ways to humanly kills these mice. Feeding live mice to snakes is dangerous, inhumane and illegal in the UK.

As an animal lover myself, I'd never have the nerve to do it.

It would be a lot easier and cheaper for you to buy frozen mice in bulk from virtual shops. I've recently started buying from shops such as http://www.livefoods.co.uk/default.php?cPath=24 and have been very happy with the service, quality and value for money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not only is it illegal in the UK to feed live mice to a snake that quite happily takes dead mice, if your snake is not used to taking live mice there is always the possibility of harm to your snake. Also humanely killing your mouse is an option, but not nice if you are an animal lover - I'd stick with frozen - and split your mice up (though it might be too late for the female).

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
fair enough but you still need a humane way to kill it.

Co2 is the only way really.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Its not illegal to feed live, its only illegal if you have an audeince (but i suppose thats the only way they're gonna prove it lol)

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Cara said:
Its not illegal to feed live, its only illegal if you have an audeince (but i suppose thats the only way they're gonna prove it lol)
Cara, following your line of thinking, paedophilia and murder is not illegal, only if you have an audience :roll:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i gues yourd have to have something eat the victim for it to apply

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
No Dean, you probably didn't understand what I mean (oddly enough :roll: ).

If something is illegal, it's illegal ! It doesn't matter if there is audience or not.

I might murder someone and never get caught, but that doesn't make of murder a legal practice, just because I got away with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok where do i start...first off i do not have a problem with feeding him live mice (after all, thats what snakes do!) i wasnt going to kill the mice i was going to feed them live. Yes i expect lots of replies saying your cruel and your snake will be injured but to be honest what do you think snakes do in the wild? do ppl think there is someone there to regulate the temps in the area for the snake? or maybe someone to pre kill the food so they dont get hurt? i care about my snake and i also care about the conditions my mice live in but im sorry ladies and gentalmen ...thats nature! i havnt fed them to the snake and im not going to because they have without knowing it become pets (although they stink) but i cant promise the babies wont be lent to fluffy.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Desert King you're new here, and we had many threads about this subject in the past (some got locked). There are a thousand reasons why people should not feed live prey, one of which it's cruel and illegal in the UK.

If you live in a country where it's allowed, then it's down to you, although if you have an option to feed frozen you'll be doing the right thing.

As you said, they do that in wild, but no one keep snakes in wild, so that's why you should feed them frozen prey, even if you're a heartless cold blooded prat that doesn't care about the mice suffering.

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
It's not actually to feed live mice to a snake as a LAST resort to a problem feeder and Cara is right, you are not allowed to do it in front of anybody other than your vet.
The only issue you may have is the RSPCA, if they find out they may decide to undertake a PRIVATE prosecution for cruelty to animals.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Dexter said:
No Dean, you probably didn't understand what I mean (oddly enough :roll: ).

If something is illegal, it's illegal ! It doesn't matter if there is audience or not.

I might murder someone and never get caught, but that doesn't make of murder a legal practice, just because I got away with it.
dex, i'm sorry to say but you're the one barking up the wrong tree here. when he says it's illegal if you have audience i think he's referring to watching it like a sport or some kind of entertainment. not that this rule applies for all laws. however, i don't think this is actually the law, i think live feeding is illegal unless the snake/lizard is in mortal peril.

IMO i see no problem with others live feeding, it happens in the wild, it's natural. but, i wouldn't do it myself. primarily because it's unecessary and i can't stand watching animals die. but that just my opinion and everyone else is entitled to theirs.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Simply it is illegal to feed live mice to a healthy snake.

It is dangerous for the snake as they can cause injury to them. Also technically it is cheaper to buy dead mice... it really doesnt cost that much.... I pay £50 for 3 months food for 20 odd kings.

You said that they dont have a regulated temperature in the wild etc.. yeah thats true.. thats in the wild.... these are in captivity so frozen mice are fine ... seeing as everything else is simulated why not simulate their feeding too.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
NNY said:
Simply it is illegal to feed live mice to a healthy snake.

It is dangerous for the snake as they can cause injury to them. Also technically it is cheaper to buy dead mice... it really doesnt cost that much.... I pay £50 for 3 months food for 20 odd kings.

You said that they dont have a regulated temperature in the wild etc.. yeah thats true.. thats in the wild.... these are in captivity so frozen mice are fine ... seeing as everything else is simulated why not simulate their feeding too.
i agree, feeding prekilled is much easier and cheaper. end of.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with -NNY- not only is feeding live illegal and cruel, but it simply is cheaper easier and faster to go pre-killed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dexter my mice live in luxury, just like my snake so before you go accusing me of being an "idiotic prat" just bare in mind what i am saying. forgetting the fact its illegal, you see poisoning the mice with C02 where they suffacate to death is more humane than the 10 seconds it takes for a snake to kill its prey! jesus how did i stumble onto this forum? if this is the general feeling on this then i am surprised at how hipocritical you really are! i care about every one of my animals i am just not so narrow minded as to think my snake eats vege burgers! yes i can travel and get frozen mice but its very pricey for me and its my opinion that a snake should be a snake! im not saying you should agree but dont dare call me an idiot for looking after my animals!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts