Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had possibly one my worst days ever wednesday, first (see other thread) my rescued BRB dies and then I take my two columbians over to my local pet shop to get them sprayed for mites, I should have asked what he was putting on them, but he said it was what the vet gave him, so i assumed it would be ok. He put them in a small plastic box & liberally sprays them with this stuff so much so theres a few mm of it in the bottom of the tub. I get home 2 mins later & set them down, I glance over to them and could see they were in huge amounts of pain, mouths opening, tails curling, unable to breathe, not moving, writhing, we immediatly bathed them in warm water & thanks to Nerys & the BRB I had the lovely Fixx's number and him & his lovely girlfriend Loulou who live reasonably near me came straight over, by the time they got here one of the CRBs, Shade, had perked up & seems to be ok, the other one is still not 100% but we have our fingers crossed. I found out the next day he had completely covered them in FRONTLINE, yes, the stuff you put ONE DROP on a dog. Not cover a snake barely over a foot long. One of the scariest few hours ever. Now to my question, do anyone know whether this is likely to have caused any long term damage, apart from the obvious stress :( , as it was likely they may have drank some of it as it may have got in their mouths. Thanks

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
what a nightmare

Hi Cara.
You poor soul & how heartbreaking about the other two snakes dying, i was in tears reading it. As for your other two snakes, the best person to contact would be either a rep vet, or the company that manufactures frontline which is Meriel. I will try to find a tel no for ya later today.
There have been reports of dogs reacting badly to the spot on version, but not the spray to my knowledge.
I would NEVER take on an animal that i wasn`t 100% sure i could care for properly, maybe that Sh*t should think about keeping pet rocks in future, but he`d probably drop those & bust em` LOL I really hope your two babies are ok & that the RSPCA or anyone else in authority that may be able to get him, DOES!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea well one of the very nice people on this forum is going to take a little wander round my local pet shop 'just to have a look' and I'm 100% certain if there is any probs then he'll get them sorted :) good idea about calling frontline themselves, didn't think of that one :oops: cheers :)

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
OMG how terrifying!! U must have been soooo worried!!
Sorry to here bout ur lil fella dying and i really hope these 2 poor mites make a full recovery xx

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
frontline can cause neurological problems,in your case the main problem is the alcohol that it is dissolved in has poisoned your snakes and may possibly have caused damage to the respiratory tract amongst other things. however it seems you got on top of it quickly and may get away with it,one symptom of trouble with frontline is that the snake gets the shakes,however i have seen this once or twice and it does pass after a few weeks.
time will tell,when i frontline snakes i do it in a shallow box with a mesh lid,applying the frontline with a small brush in a stripe all the way from the back of the head to the tail tip,the snake is left in the tub for 5 mins with free air flow to allow the alcohol solvent to evaporate then returned to its cage.
regards gaz

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think I should take them to the vets? Is there actually anything a vet will be able to do that i cant? Dont really want the added stress of taking them to vets, bit worried about wether they will feed now or not but, gonna try not too worry too much til they refuse! When should I give them a go at feeding? Its around the time i would normally feed them, shall i wait a few days to give them time to recover?

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
the vet could tell you the effects of frontline overdose over the phone but most likely would not be able to do anything practical that you have'nt done yourself,fresh air and fresh water seem to be the best cure,if its just the alcohol then it wont stay in their systems for too long.
regards and the best of luck gaz
as for feeding give them a couple of days to get straight again,i have a mahoosive hangover right now caused by excessive alcohol and i certainly dont want to feed,could be much the same for the snakes

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hey Cara if you do not want to pop the snakes down to the vet give Mullacotts a call and ask to speak to Simon Thompson for some advice hes our and the local zoo's exotics vet and will be able to advise you if there is anything more you can do for them, he may very well advise a visit but he may also save you a trip and advise you on what you can do next. heres the number Tel: 01271 866770

and he doesnt work in that surgery on wednesdays so dont try to call him then, He is out every now and again visiting the zoos but he always gets back in touch as soon as he can.

Hope this helps and they are gorgeous CRBs hopefully as you got them out of the tubs so quickly they should be ok!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Poor snakes :cry:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea thanks so much for coming over, was in such a panic! Will give him a call on monday and until then I'm keeping them very humid, n will give them each a bath twice a day, just to make sure, will help them with the mites aswell, :) poor little things, havent had it easy.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Not a problem it was nice to meet you and hopefully the circumstances are better next time :D

Fingers crossed Simon can either give you the all clear or point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I don't think there'll be much anyone can do other than wait and see i think, just fingers crossed theres no long term damage, do you think I should leave trying to feed them for another week or so, they are due a feed but don't want to stress them out anymore than necessary...

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
Try them with a feed, if they take it they take it, if not, don't panic and try them again in a few days.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
will give them a go 2night then, they were good feeders before so hopefully they'll still be greedy little buggers!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
educate the shop. Tell them that what they were doing is wrong and tell them why? just so they don't do it again!

·
Registered
632 Posts
your vet should be able to put your snakes on a drip should it get that bad! try olive oil for mites, i heard on here that it works wonders, haven't had probs with mites... Yet!! *touch wood* Frontline is a good product when used sensibly, there is a dilution for frontline in reptiles, but on a previous thread this wk someone said that the active ingredient is insoluable, i'l look into that!! good luck x

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They didn't feed :( but trying not to panic too much :banghead: prob too stressed poor lil things, will giv em another go in a few days n they were on fluffs but i'm tryin them with pinkies, bit easier for them, will give the vet a call in a bit see what he suggests will keep you posted....

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Poor things!! It would probably best not to stress them with feeding - I would probably leave it a couple of weeks.

I've heard bad things about Frontline with snakes - I use Provent-a-Mite (recommended and used for years in the US) - great stuff and now we can get it here in the UK :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trice said:
educate the shop. Tell them that what they were doing is wrong and tell them why? just so they don't do it again!
I have don't worry, as soon as they went mental i called him and told him to stop using it, and as soon as i found out how to use it properly i told him that aswell, i also said not to use it on the snakes he has used it on already cause he was obviously using way too much so fingers crossed no more will end up like mine.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have got some good news, Shade (the one that recovered quickest) ate two large pinkies last night :D unfortunatly no pics as wanted to leave her alone in the dark & quiet to give her best chance :D unfortunatly the other one Armitage(!my stupid blokes idea) didn't eat :( she last ate a fluff 17/11 so we'll give her a few more days & try again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts