Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What age can my leos start eating meal worms also are they only a treat?? :lol: sorry my posts arent long :p

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
dont know about age but ive been told mealies arent all that nutritious but you can feed them as often as you like,waxies are the ones for treats they are full of fat,its undecided but id reccommend squashing their heads the mealies i mean as its thought they can possibly eat their way out of a sick,injured or young lizards stomach,dont know how true it is but i decided its not worth the risk so i crush mine with a tea spoon :shock:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I always leave a small dish of mealworms in with my geckos and give wax worms as a treat, i leave them in live (i dont crush their heads) but everyone has their own way of doing it, got to admit though i havent actually seen the geckos eat either worms yet.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
i got my leo fully grown,he had always been feed live mealies with no problems at all,i just worry about things and when i was told they actually hold their breath when eaten and eat their way out i panicked,having said that some1 on here pointed out lizards have acidic stomachs and it would kill the worms b4 they could do damage,makes sense to be honest i was also fed up with hunting the damn things down they crawl everywhere out of their bowl all over the place! i hardly feed them to him now he prefers hoppers and crix

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i feed my juvies a mix of all things.All my leos have a small bowl of meal worms in the viv at all time though.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
mealworms are very high in chitin an hold little real nutritional value for any pet..there are much better food sources that a leo will enjoy that are much better for them..if you are going to feed mealworms then they should be fed when they are white as their exoskeleton has not hardened. (less chitin) if you want a alternative to crickets use locusts rather than mealworms.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
hehe im sure he isnt fat hun.a fat gecko is never a bad thing untill it cant get in its hide lol then you know its time to slow down on the waxies lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts