Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says,

What age do beardies reach sexual maturity?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Varies males can become sexually mature as young as 5 months, but generally 8-9 months old hope i've helped : victory:

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm,

both my beardies are just over 5 months old, obviously I didn't know the sex when i bought them at 8 weeks old. I just took a gamble and hoped for 2 females, as I keep them together in a 4' viv. I'm pretty sure I have a male and female having looked closely at the bumps at the base of their tails.

I'v just witnessed my male kinda harassing the female, like doing the head bop at her and climbing on top. I dont really want them to breed, but I have no means of seperating them, i.e. I dont have a spare viv!

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Both sexes could probably breed from around 6 months onwards - like humans can breed from 10-12.

Males are fine to breed from whatever age (as long as they're big enough), but females shouldn't be bred until they are around 18 months old and 400g or so...

Edit: You need to get a spare viv or rehome one of them if you're already seeing the first signs of sexual activity.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So should I find a way to seperate them? By the way my male is acting I dont think he wants to wait a year before he has his wicked way!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It isnt advised for female beardies to get pregnant as young as 5 months and under 400G ideally they should be at least 18 months, but seeing how you dont want them to breed, i'd try getting a viv asap, the head bobbing is a sign of
1) sexual attraction
2) a dominance issue
At 5 months you should be able to sex them, if you do find out that your female is gravid, i'd be very careful because it can cause many problems and not only cause injury but may kill her, so i'd very much try to either seperate them or rehome one of the two if you really cant get another viv

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting another viv was the plan if this happened when I got them, but didn't plan on losing my job and then getting a lesser payed job!

Will be a shame, as I'm quite attached to both quirky characters, but I think re-homing one will be for the greater good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts