Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my little bro sent me a pic of his 2 turtles what are they do you know i think he said they was yellow bellys but am not sure i was rat assed when he sent me the pic lol.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Florida Red Bellies Psuedemys nelsoni, which are a type of cooter. These grow big, up to 9" for males and females up to 13", they become totally vegetarian at quite a young age.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i new they was somthing Bellies lol there my bros he said there about 4cm i think al get him to post me some more pics ;)

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Din't know they was kinda rare in this country al get him to send me a few more pics ;) am off down to see him and me mates beginning of next month(he livs in yorkshire i liv in norfolk i miss good old yorkshire lol) so al also make sure to take a few good ones myself. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
they're cooters alright. Pretty rare in this country i've heard
Then you heard wrong! Red Bellies are about the second most common turts in UK petshops after YBS!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Then you heard wrong! Red Bellies are about the second most common turts in UK petshops after YBS!

Yes i did misunderstand. heres what u sed on another post,

Well RES are no longer imported so are hard to get, unless you get an adult from a rescue centre, then it's likely to be pretty big and would need a very large expensive tank and filter, cooters are easily available but are one of the largest species, so again a big expensive tank and filter.

Muds and Musks are small and consequently can live in smaller tanks, but Muds are quite rare in the UK, and Musks can be hard to find depending on where you live, hatchlings of both species are tiny and rather fragile and are not recommended as beginners turtles, so you'd have to look for juveniles or adults, which if anything are harder still to find.

With regard to care probably the easiest to look after are Yellow Bellied Sliders and Florida Red Bellies, but both grow big so if you can't afford a big setup are best avoided.

Maps are easy to look after and smaller, but females can still grow to 10" or so and require a tank which most people would think of as pretty big.

So as I said earlier the choice of turtle is largely dictated by what size setup you can afford to provide, there would be little point recommending a YBS or a Red Belly if you couldn't provide a 6' or bigger tank in a few years time.

Box Turtles are not what most people in England would think of as turtles, when we say turtle we mean a mainly aquatic freshwater turtle like a RES or YBS, which are also known as terrapins over here. Box Turtles are not easy to get hold of here either, I know lots of prospective keepers looking in vain for them.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Yes I know what I said, but I don't understand where your confusion arose? In the first sentence I said that "cooters are easily available".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts