Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me what the white stuff in Bearded dragon faeces are? Been told they are urates but not sure what this means.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Depending on whats been fed the urates may be very thick and hard or very soft, sometimes runny.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
In humans, we happen to excrete nitrogen in the form of urea, which is water soluble. Which is why we tend to think of 'wee' as being liquid!

Reptiles on the other hand excrete nitrogen in the form of Uric Acid (known as urates) - which can be excreted dry.

Both methods fulfil function, just that one compound gets dissolved in water and the other doesn't so much!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
In humans, we happen to excrete nitrogen in the form of urea, which is water soluble. Which is why we tend to think of 'wee' as being liquid!

Reptiles on the other hand excrete nitrogen in the form of Uric Acid (known as urates) - which can be excreted dry.

Both methods fulfil function, just that one compound gets dissolved in water and the other doesn't so much!
Great clarification!! I knew it was wee but why it passed solidly sometimes stumped me!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What makes it white though?
What makes table salt white?
Urates aren't uric acid exactly. They're salts and anions of uric acid.
Humans have them too. That's what gout is, a buildup of urate crystals in joints (or muscle in the case of visceral gout) hence why it's linked to men who eat lots of meat. We also have them in our poo, and our kidneys (kidney stones).

Pretty sure pure urea isn't yellow when dehydrated.
High amino acid metabolism means darker, even brown urine in mammals, and high levels of B vitamins make urine bright yellow. I think the combination of the two at healthy levels gives the colour we know urine to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts