Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was talking to this person who was going mental as I got a 1m corn in a 90 X 45 X 45cm viv (I would personally like it taller) instead of a 2 X 1 X 1/2 tank :gasp:

so sent them this lol and they shut up :whistling2:

Kevin Bloody Wilson - DILLIGAF - YouTube

This is mine:

I personally wouldn't keep a snake in anything smaller then if the length + width was smaller than the snakes total body length.
For example if there is a snake 7 foot long then the viv would be at least 5 feet long and 2 feet wide.
This make sure it has plenty of room.
People say it stresses them out but to me its not the size that gets them stress but how exposed it is. so if a snake is kept in a 5X2 viv and the snake is like 3 foot and all thats in there is a water bowel and depending on the owner maybe a hide or 2 then of course its going to be stressed.
But if there is tons of cover then it will be happy.
Now people maybe like "but I won't see it" to me if the animal is happy that is the most important thing. But also if the animal feels safe its going to be more active and come out of its own accord. of course you can't see it all the time but that to me makes seeing it all that more exiting.: victory:
People say they don't do anything. If given the means then they will.
Right now my corn is slithering about digging and climbing and just being active and interesting :flrt:
So thats my thought's :2thumb:

Whats yours? agree with me? disagree with me? say why below : victory:

But remember everyone has different opinions so please respect that :no1:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
So was talking to this person who was going mental as I got a 1m corn in a 90 X 45 X 45cm viv (I would personally like it taller) instead of a 2 X 1 X 1/2 tank :gasp:

This is mine:

I personally wouldn't keep a snake in anything smaller then if the length + width was smaller than the snakes total body length.
For example if there is a snake 7 foot long then the viv would be at least 5 feet long and 2 feet wide.
People say it stresses them out but to me its not the size that gets them stress but how exposed it is. so if a snake is kept in a 5X2 viv and the snake is like 3 foot and all thats in there is a water bowel and depending on the owner maybe a hide or 2 then of course its going to be stressed.
Now people maybe like "but I won't see it" to me if the animal is happy that is the most important thing. But also if the animal feels safe its going to be more active and come out of its own accord. of course you can't see it all the time but that to me makes seeing it all that more exiting.: victory:
Right now my corn is slithering about digging and climbing and just being active and interesting :flrt:

i think this has been done to death and im absolutely bored to tears with it tbh.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The human emotion of empathy should mean that there should never need to be a discussion.
The human trait of selfishness means that there will always be this discussion.
In between those it should be up to the keeper how to house their animals, but carried out with respect for the snake and with an understanding and allowance for its needs, both physically and behaviourally. The Human's needs should be the last consideration in the design.

That's mine or whatever it is you are doing ..

Tom

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Einstein

To be fair I have only seen this on american sites which is all the same. "lets keep as many snakes in the smallest space possiable! Then we can have more" just wondered it the british are any different.
But i'm guessing from everyone's reactions we are the same in general?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
To be fair I have only seen this on american sites which is all the same. "lets keep as many snakes in the smallest space possiable! Then we can have more" just wondered it the british are any different.
Some are the same, some aren't. Sadly, it's a topic that's been done to death, brought back to life, then been done to death again . . and it always seems to descend into a slanging match. So, yeah . . Who wants more memes?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The logical answer is: a viv can offer everything a rub can, plus more, but a rub cant emulate a large viv because they are simply not big enough. Plus vivs are easier to heat as you can use ceramics without modifying them. So vivs are obviously far better really. Especially plastic vivs. I should add i use vivs and rubs, but mainly rubs atm.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As destinys_only_sin said, this seems to be an almost daily topic at the moment and it always seems to descend into childish bickering. It would be good if we handsome kind of sticky with a viv/rub pros and cons table. But I don't believe it would help much as these seem to get ignored by many.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

This is mine:

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

play a new record...

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
As destinys_only_sin said, this seems to be an almost daily topic at the moment and it always seems to descend into childish bickering. It would be good if we handsome kind of sticky with a viv/rub pros and cons table. But I don't believe it would help much as these seem to get ignored by many.
The OPs original question wasn't about Viv versus RUB though. It was about cage sizes.
I only have a few RUBs (50ltr plus) and they are bigger than my "nursery vivs" floor space wise.

Some species need more hight than floor space and some more floor space than height. The length + width rule wouldn't work in all cases.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
The OPs original question wasn't about Viv versus RUB though. It was about cage sizes.
I only have a few RUBs (50ltr plus) and they are bigger than my "nursery vivs" floor space wise.

Some species need more hight than floor space and some more floor space than height. The length + width rule wouldn't work in all cases.
I think if this was another viv vs rub thread, we'd be at about 50 pages of childish insults by now. That has to be the single most devisive topic ever thought up . . Well, between British herpers anyway. I'm not too sure what it's like Stateside.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Fair point, it just seems that a lot of the viv/rub threads also cover the size of the enclosure on a frequent basis.

That and the fact that I should read - think - post, whereas as soon as I saw the vague direction this thread was going I posted the first thing that came to mind, so apologies to OP for jumping the gun slightly.

To add something constructive, I have a 6 month old royal python in a 3' viv. From what I have seen on here, and my personal preference, is to give the snake the biggest space possible (taking minimum requirements into mind) but fill it with as much foliage and cover as your can within reason. I would also only have 1 snake per viv, although I seem to recall a recent thread in which a fair few people mentioned that it is fine to co-habit certain species if habitat is correct.

I think an important point to add here would be that I cannot stand popcorn, can I substitute for chilli coated peanuts?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts