Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone could tell what type this little guy is, long story short got him off a family member but they couldn’t remember what he is. I’m thinking he looks like a hermanns but would like to be sure.
I’m a new tortoise owner and want to be sure I’m caring for him right. Thank you for your time

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Looks like a hermans to me:0)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hermanni. I know you didn’t ask, but you may like to change his diet to something more natural such as here www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm he has an awful lot of new growth there and signs of keratin stress even without enlarging the pic. This will impact on his growth and result in metabolic problems if it continues. 3-4 grams a month is plenty of growth at this age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hermanni. I know you didn’t ask, but you may like to change his diet to something more natural such as here www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm he has an awful lot of new growth there and signs of keratin stress even without enlarging the pic. This will impact on his growth and result in metabolic problems if it continues. 3-4 grams a month is plenty of growth at this age.
Thank you
Iv only had him a week and have been researching his diet, seems like the info I got from reptile shop wasn’t full accurate from what I’m reading online.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Thank you
Iv only had him a week and have been researching his diet, seems like the info I got from reptile shop wasn’t full accurate from what I’m reading online.

If you bought him from a shop, you should have had a certificate with him, as its illegal to sell without one. They are a protected species:0) Unfortunately it happens a lot shops dont care, and try and sell you lots of things you dont actually need:0(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you bought him from a shop, you should have had a certificate with him, as its illegal to sell without one. They are a protected species:0) Unfortunately it happens a lot shops dont care, and try and sell you lots of things you dont actually need:0(
I got him from a family member who bought off a breeder I believe but they’ve misplaced the yellow form thing, I’m guessing that’s the certificate. I’ll be honest I didn’t even know that you needed them with it was just trying to do a good deed x

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I got him from a family member who bought off a breeder I believe but they’ve misplaced the yellow form thing, I’m guessing that’s the certificate. I’ll be honest I didn’t even know that you needed them with it was just trying to do a good deed x
YEs, sadly reptile shops are only there to keep them alive until sale and make money from the customer, much the same as any other business. They are power fed and often weigh twice what the norm is for the age. This means they will reach full adult size at a very early age, but also means they will have other problems, often not able to be corrected. Have a look here for info on Med hatchlings. www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm If the shop sold you a vivarium then try to get them to take it back as it’s not suitable for purpose. All habitats must be open topped to give a variety of temperatures which your tortoise will choose for itself. Shops will argue this point, again just to make a profit. Apart from lamps, there’s very little money required to keep these little guys. Later you will need greenhouse or cold frame accommodation outdoors, with electrics for lamps again. Good luck :)

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
If you rehomed the tortoise its fine, its only when you sell a protected species you need a certificate:0)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts