Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currantly in the process off setting up viv so i can get a bearded dragon... I have 4 foot vivexotic vivarium but i am now struggling to pick the best bulb. At first i was thinking of the powersun zoo med 125w as i dont really want to run a strip light for uv. But then after reading reviews on this bulb it seems there are a few issues.. i then looked at the mega ray. Here is my question ... can u run a mvp bulb with a dimmer?

Thanks

Arlene

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am currantly in the process off setting up viv so i can get a bearded dragon... I have 4 foot vivexotic vivarium but i am now struggling to pick the best bulb. At first i was thinking of the powersun zoo med 125w as i dont really want to run a strip light for uv. But then after reading reviews on this bulb it seems there are a few issues.. i then looked at the mega ray. Here is my question ... can u run a mvp bulb with a dimmer?

Thanks

Arlene

nope you cant, the filaments are so delicate that any power fluctuation will knacker them, also you would effectively be dimming uv, with a viv that size you are much better off with a tube (best one is arcadia 12%)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmm... ok. Back to the drawing board then. If i run the seperate uv bulb would a 60w basking bulb be ok, or do u think higher wattage. Sorry to be a pain, but im having trouble getting my head round this bulb thing and want to make sure i do it right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies... i did have a concern that the 60w wouldnt be hot enough but since this is my first viv i didnt have anything to compare it with..

·
Registered
731 Posts
i know but just thought with my 4' viv i need a higher wattage but then could be coz my house is cold most of the time

but the homebase heat bulbs work for me and half the price of bulbs out a reptile shop :whistling2:
Exactly. 1 bulb won't work for all, so if Arlene gets a couple of different wattage spot bulbs, she will find what works best for her viv.

There are also different sized 4' vivexotic vivs. Mine is EX48.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
get a 100w spotlight plug it into a dimmerstat, thats your best bet, if you find the bulb dims too much then go for a 60

·
Registered
881 Posts
u dont need an expensive bulb all u need to do is go to b&q and get a 100w that is 100% fine for the warm end of the viv and is perfect for a bearded dragon just make sure u have a rock under the bulb because a beardie loves to bask under it

·
Registered
553 Posts
It depends how far/close the beardie will be from the basking lamp as well. I have my beardie in a 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot. I use a 60w bulb as the basking spot is raised off the floor of the viv quite a bit. I find the 60w bulb and a heat mat covering a quarter of the viv - on stats - works fine for me and a get a good temp gradient.

But it depends on the viv size, heat of the room in general, time of the year etc etc... Get a probe thermometer which will measure the temps pretty accurately and experiment a bit - you'll hit the right temps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Also a bulb from a DIY store will work fine. They're a fraction of the cost of the reptile ones and I find that they last longer! The red pro-rep bulb I bought for my leo lasted about three weeks and blew - £4 down the drain!

·
Registered
881 Posts
did you no there's a chance of damaging your dragon if u use a heat mat in the day a bearded dragon has heat receptors in the back of its head this is why it is good too have a strong head from above the best time to use a heat mat is int he night to keep a low but good temperature in the tank and use a 100w spot bulb with obv a uvb bulb also make sure your dragon can get prety close to both bulbs not too close tho although with the uvb bulb they can get rather close

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes I know there is a danger of burns if you use a heat mat without a stat. That's why I have a stat. Once the mat reaches a certain temp the stat turns it off.

Also in the summer months I don't leave the heat mat on at all at night. It's just not needed. I seem to get a nice night time temp drop without needing to have the mat on.

I suppose it's all about keeping an eye on the temps on a regular basis, making sure the bulbs are correct for the time of the year etc...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Umm, i'm not sure if your message was directed at me or the person originally asking about the bulb.

Thanks for the advice but I use heat mats on stats for all my lizards and they're cool at the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.