Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am lookin for advice to breedind lizards. i have already got a corn snake and 2 leapord geckos.i amd hope the geckos are going to breed. i am also lookin to breeding. can anyone help me on which lizards would be the best breeders :D thanks Davie

Just to let everyone know i have read up on it i am just lookin for advice thats all. Please understand this. i am just lookin for suggestions.i am not in this for any money either i am in this cause i want to breed healthy animals please dont think i am in this fdor the money cause that is not the case. Please understand i am not like that at all :evil: . Thanks Davie

·
Registered
155 Posts
The first and most important thing you need to think about is why you are doing it ??

Will it be a hobby and you are going to keep what you breed ??
I should think you will want to sell some.

Will you be able to sell them easy enough.

I personally would have stopped breeding a year ago if i did not have the trade accounts that i do with companies as i would not have been able to shift the babies i have bred.

30 baby beardies for eg in one batch, eat loads, grow loads and there are loads of people breeding them.

they are now being bought for £10 each in some places making it cost more than you get back.

If you want to breed something, try something different, but at the same time, dont be that focused on breeding that if they dont you are disapointed.

my collareds bred loads last year and i did in region of 50-60 young, this year i did 4 young.

not fussed as its my passion and hobby infact with over 90 beardies bred his year it did me a favour.

have you got the room ??

do you have the time and money ??

will the adults be hard to keep without them breeding too much,, far to many people breed their reps over and over and over again as many times as they get it on,, personally 3 clutches and year and the pair get separated.

it is great fun, but needs some thinking before taking the plunge.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
you say you have 2 leo's is that 1 male and 1 female?
as you should have 2 females to 1 male or the male will stress her out way to much while trying to breed maybe you should just stick with what you have and breed them if you really want to breed something
personaly i think breeding for profit is wrong i dont agree with it at all
manda xx

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
unfortunately if every breeder was in it just for the hobby we'd have a lack of breeders. thats what i think anyway.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i dint mean not to breed at all to cover costs is fine maybe a little extra but some people i wont say who or where from will just breed and breed there reps to near death to make a pretty penny out of them
manda xx

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Yet again I find myself agreeing with lizard lover.

Breeding should come as an extension of an existing hobby. There is nothing wrong with controlled breeding for the good of the species and potential new owners, and asto any money made, I would hazard a guess that any profit is soon put back into the hobby, esp when your crix bill is around £25 a week !!!

So, I suggest you find a reptile you like, can care for and understand, then look into breeding it if thats how you still feel.

If you do anything other than this, either you will fail, or you will turn into a baby factory.

BTW, it takes a lot of time to feed, water clean and care for babies, I know first hand, still have about 15 young leos !!

Which ofcourse then leads to can you home all the babies you hope to rear? or will you get left with lots to look after.

Tony

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
as you should have 2 females to 1 male or the male will stress her out way to much while trying to breed
I think SHOULD is a matter of opinion and isnt always necesarily the case.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
none of us were trying to get at him but by saying he is wanting to know what lizard "to collect" makes it seem like he dont care wat it is as long as it gives him loads of offspring....surely u must all think that the best way to go would be to learn about a few species first ?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
funkymonkey said:
The first and most important thing you need to think about is why you are doing it ??

Will it be a hobby and you are going to keep what you breed ??
I should think you will want to sell some.

Will you be able to sell them easy enough.

I personally would have stopped breeding a year ago if i did not have the trade accounts that i do with companies as i would not have been able to shift the babies i have bred.

30 baby beardies for eg in one batch, eat loads, grow loads and there are loads of people breeding them.

they are now being bought for £10 each in some places making it cost more than you get back.

If you want to breed something, try something different, but at the same time, dont be that focused on breeding that if they dont you are disapointed.

my collareds bred loads last year and i did in region of 50-60 young, this year i did 4 young.

not fussed as its my passion and hobby infact with over 90 beardies bred his year it did me a favour.

have you got the room ??

do you have the time and money ??

will the adults be hard to keep without them breeding too much,, far to many people breed their reps over and over and over again as many times as they get it on,, personally 3 clutches and year and the pair get separated.

it is great fun, but needs some thinking before taking the plunge.
Well done mate!! You've practically covered everything, I have bred beardies and i'm on my 3rd clutch. And there is a lot to consider before you go out and buy a pair.

Also, one thing to consider, Do you have the time?? They will need cleaning out everyday, fed livefood 3 times a day and offered fresh shredded greens & veg.

Also, what are you going to do if you get a couple of sick babies? or babies with deformities etc as you can't sell these to the general puplic. Also, I learned a lesson 2 weeks ago! I had 10 older babies left and all of a sudden my next clutch were hatching!! And you can't mix the two together!.

So now i have 2 vivariums setup just for the babies.

The cost can be quite large and your find that one month your sell all your babies for the asking price to the general public. But the next time, you might not have any interest at all and will end up selling the babies for a tenner to the local rep shop, therefore losing money!!.

Have a good think about this all first.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
To be honest, I dont think anyone was having a go, all the post seemed to follow the same thoughts, exactly the same as yours.

I fully agree that to be a good sucsessful breeder you need to know your species and understand them way before you get into breeding for real.

Having a pair that pop out some young is one thing, but looking to breed has its problems, all of which have be well covered by a number of different people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts