Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im really new to all this as only have dogs, fish, sugar gliders so need your advice.
I have a corner aquarium and was thinking about getting maybe some Sandfish for it. Its not that big, infact with the poly backing in it has reduced the size even more so now the floor size is approx 15 inches on left and right straight sides and from rear corner to front its 13inches. The widest part from left to right measures 20. Is this way too small? I have been told it isnt but would like to check. I have put the heat mat at the back of the triangle and ends just at the beginning of this side of the stone. See pic to make any sense of what I am saying. With the Uv light on the temp is 80 inthe air, 90 on the basking stone. I know I need to get a tight beam spot so I can get the basking area to approx 110. Pretty sure I can get the temps right for Sandfish t wondering if you guys had any ideas of something else I could maybe keep in this. I do like lizards of any discription but as a beginner I dont want anything that is too hard to keep and too expensive.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
how about a couple of Curly Tails - they are pretty and active and would work well in there

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...Mm dont really fancy toads, more lizardy things. Just looked up Curly tails and like the look of them but pretty sure it will be too small for them. The area is pretty small...if you think about it its prob has the same space as a 1ftx1ft viv.....is it too small for 2 sandfish?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Perfect for a tarantula!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
?????? :hmm:

Does anyone else see something wrong eith this statement?
i do :2thumb:

you would be able to put any lizards in there its too small you wouldnt have the right ventalation in there plus a lizard needs to thermoregulate and that tank wouldnt have a hot and cold side as its to small

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But Sandfish also need to thermoregulate, the right side where I have now put the basking rock is 108 degrees as it has a tight beam spot over the rock and the left side is 84 degrees. There are holes drilled in the lid.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems the size is fine and I do like the look of them, temp shouldnt be a prob. Mm will have alook tomorrow in rep shop...prob end up getting sandfish if they havent got them.
Retri what was wrong with what Chrisd said?

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about little sticky Green Day gecko's like 'Phelsuma dubia'?? They are not very big and fairly simple to keep too.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillie
Retri what was wrong with what Chrisd said?

beardies do vary in size due to sex/eating habbits/care etc but there is no "dwarf beardie" and rankins are different! a whole new species! and have different requirements!

I used to have that exact tank for my cold water fish, it doesnt have the space for a temperature gradient, it will only be good for fish/maybe insects(im not sure as I dont keep them). If you wanted reps then sell the tank and put the money towards a viv!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts