Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, the bug has kicked in big style, you all warned me i know.

I want a second snake, nothing too big but something unusual...

How about some suggestions, your thoughts on tree boa's, small pythons, or something totaly from left field, i am open to suggestions.

go for it.......

Am i risking turning into trice at this rate of posting, must clam down, LOL

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Slapshot said:
Right, the bug has kicked in big style, you all warned me i know.

I want a second snake, nothing too big but something unusual...

How about some suggestions, your thoughts on tree boa's, small pythons, or something totaly from left field, i am open to suggestions.

go for it.......

Am i risking turning into trice at this rate of posting, must clam down, LOL

i wouldn't get an emarald tree boa as your second though :wink: well not if you newish to keeping
something a bit different would be a hognose(im considering getting anothern western again, but gonna avoid a madagascan this time)

or go totally different and go for a rough green, and have fun with invertabrates.

if its pythons, spotted pythons are pretty nice(prefer them to childrens) or something like brazilian rainbow boa

There are so many to recommend, have you seen any that take your fancy?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Taiwan Beauty! Radiated Ratsnake...Black Ratsnake...Russian Ratsnake...Taiwan Beauty...Oh did I mention that already? :lol: Trinket Snake...Taiwan Beauty...:lol:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
well i am really into royals so i got to say royal python they are amazing and so docile if you get everything correct what a beautiful snake but i would say that :lol:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Some of the rat snakes are really nice and don't get that big,would have a look at hognoses as well or royals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd say rough greens not many people seem too haev them they used to have them at this pet shop i worked in so cool probs my next snake.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i got a royal as my second snake. they are great but it has caused me the biggest amount of stress of all my snakes.
you mentioned tree boa's. if you were talking emeralds as was assumed above then i would think carefully about it. they have huge front teeth, do not appreciate being handled, and are very sensitive to the wrong temps and humidity.
i have little experience but i believe amazon tree boa's are not as hard to keep. but again are not handling snakes. madagascan tree boa's are hardy but very expensive.
maybe get a childrens or spotted python. they are small, easy to keep and quite cheap. also not massively common in collections

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
an egg eater eh? hmmmm theres a thought, i do fancy a royal too, thanks for the comments on the tree boas.

All i have to do now is convince the misses that we NEED another snake.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Slapshot said:
an egg eater eh? hmmmm theres a thought, i do fancy a royal too, thanks for the comments on the tree boas.

All i have to do now is convince the misses that we NEED another snake.

my missus is into them as much as me, which is a bonus. we have conversations like.... she says "if you get a carpet python, i'll get another royal, or maybe a uromastyx"

Im fine with that :wink:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Royal or Cali king snake.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Taiwan Beauty! Radiated Ratsnake...Black Ratsnake...Russian Ratsnake...Taiwan Beauty...Oh did I mention that already? :lol: Trinket Snake...Taiwan Beauty...:lol:

Lol, just to get my point across....:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm i get the impression you like the tiwan beauty? I'll take a look

you got any pics of yours?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yes yes yes! Beauty snakes all the way! I dont have any Tai beauties atm but I used to have 4, ranging from hatchling to adult, and I loved them! Atm the I have 2 Blue Beauties though, which are equally as gorgeous! And growing like weeds! One thing I should mention is they get to be quite large, but not in the same way that a common boa or something does. They get quite lengthy, in the region of 5-9ft depending on subspecies, the Taiwan's are the largest of the subspecies, but at adult length are still extremely handleable! Also being asian they need slightly lower temperatures, but nothing so extreme as to be unattainable.

This is the adult female Taiwan Beauty I used to have, in the pic she is slightly smaller than adult, but still of a decent size. She maxed out at just over 7ft.

This is a hatchling Taiwan Beauty

And my hatchling Blue Beauty, I have 2 of these

Thats just my tuppence worth, there are lots of others you could try, just pick one you like the look of, do your research and you'll do just fine :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts