Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my tank i have made for a water dragon what do u think of it so far and what else shud i do 2 it or change

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
it looks good so far.
I assume the basking lights etc are forthcoming?
also you may find the water basin to be better suited to the bottom of the viv, and be a fair bit deeper... depends on size of the dragon.
As for the branches etc they are well positioned [assuming basking lights going at top focusing on them] but id go for a few fake plants to mate.

looking good

Dean

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got them frm b&q but i duno what they r soz

and yes i have got lights and i did not but pool at bottem because it took up to much space

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
took up too much space at the bottom? oh ok, id have thought there would be room there but still.

also if i was setting up that viv id use 3 bulbs, 2 x100watt refelctor bulbs and a 60watt with a heat mat at the bottom.
and also on the bottom where the heat mat isnt id go for a big shelter with a lot of substrate in it for a nice cool shaded area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx for that very helpfull but i ave got a uv light 2 go along the top anlong with a 100 wot bulb and i have been told 2 put the heat mate on the back waht do u think i cud use as a little cave or something i dont ave alot of money lol

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i use cork bark for a hiding place for my wd. also your prob be best keeping water there. i used to have this tank and it did my head in changing the water when its at the bottom, quite hard to get to.
if ya wrap some fake plants around the polls it'd make it a bit brighter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i ave bought this tresel from b&q to put on the back of my water dragon vivarium it is made of willow now i no u shudnt put it in a vivarium but i ave baked it and it is now very dry shud i put it in

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
im not sure bout that sorry. i've just got picture backing on mine which work well but obviously yours is to tall. you could try cork bark for backing or bamboo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
also just noticed that the bulbs you are going to be putting 1 - 3 of them are going to be very close to that first branch which could cause the water dragon to burn him self on them

Water needs to be deeper if poss.

I have the same viv as you at the mo until i have finished building mine and i have water at the bottom in a tray it is a pain to change but in my new one i have a bottom drain to drain the water out.

I would use bark as a hide also.

Oolix

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is not how in going to have my bulbs i am hiving one large uv lamp accross the top with 1 100w bulb with a heat mate on the back

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
why'd u draw it like that then?

it looks like it'd be a nice vivarium with more greenery and stuff, ur picture showing wattages was a little misleading i guess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
if i get the pic now you were asking people where to postion the bulb if you were then i would put it in the best place for the water dragon to get right under it and bask but be careful for not to place anything to close so him/she could burn her self on it.

i have my bulb at the top of the viv and between the bulb and basking is about 1 - 1ft away she they can't get anywhere near them to hurt them selfs.

Oolix

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
water dragon viv

we have the same viv for our water dragon fred, we have covered the bottom panel of glass with cork background and bamboo as he rubs his nose on the glass. (on the inside)(the background is on the inside) the outside is covered with picture to be asthetically pleasing to us. this is the 3rd viv we have tried him in and he loves this one.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
o0mat0o said:
i ave bought this tresel from b&q to put on the back of my water dragon vivarium it is made of willow now i no u shudnt put it in a vivarium but i ave baked it and it is now very dry shud i put it in
use them things in our vivs sumtimes, beardies love them, sure wd would to. perfectly fine once rinsed and dry yeh.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
[/quote]

I quickly mocked this up, and ill be completely honest, id forgotten about a uv bulb specifically but would have one of the 100 watt bulbs as the uv.

and no they wouldnt be too hot at any point i showed, assuming thats one of the 4 foot high by 3ft wide and around 18inch-2ft deep vivs with the bulbs fixed to the roof or at roof levwel on the sides or back.

with an arboreal viv like that its perfectly good to have the top as the warm end, the bottom as the cool end and the heatmat to take the chill of the bottom so its not too cold whilst still being the "cool end" which woulda basically range from room temp [bare in mind ground level room temp is usually 2-4 degrees less than shoulder level.] to 80 degrees or so with on the heat mat and going up going from mid 80's into the 90's with basks of between 95-100 or so as the dragon reaches the top perches.

was simply taking a quick 5 mins to give an idea is all.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
o0mat0o said:
i got them frm b&q but i duno what they r soz

and yes i have got lights and i did not but pool at bottem because it took up to much space
are they them things used to tie plants and small trees to, if they are they are made from plastic and grassy stuff and they will burn if put too near to the heat bulb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
where do i put the heat mat i have been told by my reptile shop that i shud put it on the inside of the tank but on the back is this right cuz wont the water dragons get burnt by it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts