Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw at a reptile shop today, a male chameleon had various vegetables in there, i can't remember what ones. Just asking what vegetables do they spoil on there yemens?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
You can get yemens to eat various vegetables and fruit..males are less inclined to do so than females but will still consume a varied diet.

Some good fruits to try are apple/kiwi/pear/grapes/banana.

it's not just a matter of putting the fruit in though because often they are not interested until they are very hungry...

·
Registered
664 Posts
im growing broccoli and water cress inside the viv, did try grapes but they dident seem very interested. I have no idea if they will eat it or not as it has not finished growing yet..

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
you can make them eat veggies..all of my lot do..once you start them on the diet they get a taste for it and then you can feed a 50/50 or as i do a 70/30 (insects/fruit).

always find the females more willing to eat fruit though...they seem to know what is good for them!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Spinach is toxic when more than small amounts, make sure u research what u feed before u actually do it, u dont want a poisoned reptile im sure :) my cham will eat rocket, but he doesnt tend to often so i dont usually bother, he prefers moving prey. Some say avoid brocolli as thats apparently the same, though ive read a few using it. If I ever see someone say something is toxic though, i wont use it even if others say they do, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
think spinach is high in tannin? hence the not good thing..same with peas...well pointed out blazey..got a fruit/veg list somewhere if i can find it...hmmm...

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Just a note to add to this, I'm a strong believer of what is bad/good for someone else may not neccessarily be the same for u.

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, everyone pretty much knows that, and most dogs after large amounts of chocolate, particularly chocolate high in cocoa like cooking chocolate, will drop dead within 24 hrs after serious side affects of laboured breathing and the runs.
My boyfriends dog tends to steal chocolate on many occasions. Last easter she stole a box of chocolate ducks from marks and spencers and ate them, she's also been caught indulging on boxes of chocolates at xmas when nobody has been looking and she hasnt dropped dead yet and she's an oldish dog, probably only a few years left in her if that, but still she hasnt dropped down dead from chocolate yet other peoples healthy dogs have been seen that their health declined rapidly after eating chocolate.

Point is, nothing neccessarily is affect the same way by the same factors but if their is an area of doubt, avoid it just in case.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Well brocolli is quite fiborous, so u could end up giving ur cham a poorly tummy and bad digestion.

Grapes are also meant to be toxic to dogs but ive seen people say their dogs have eaten grapes.

Better to be safe than sorry and avoid the risky foods.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
lol yes i did put that in quite badly formed english. The ducks in question were actually on the mantlepiece so god knows how she managed to reach them.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
make sure u read WHY something can be poisonous aswell. Potatoes can be fatal to humans when kept in light, because when they begin to photosynthesize the toxin levels actually rise and do actually become fatal (scary really) mango skin is also toxic and part of the stem. I wouldnt really feed brocolli because of the digestion issues u may have, runny cham poo would get me quite worried!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Plants Suitable for Herp Habitats

here you go, if your after cultivations growing in your enclosures, this is the guide to follow.

note: these plants are on this list because they are also edible. chams like ficus trees in particular :)

also note there is a risk stated about the sap of ficus trees on this list. Champ, my cham, had a ficus tree in his enclosure with is old keeper with no problems. As the rubbing is most likely to occur when shedding, remove the tree from enclosure during those periods. Must also stress that you cover the soil at the bottom with large pebbles, chams tend to be silly and eat soil which is not good for their tummys.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You see i thought broccoli would be fine as i got it off a list of plants suitable for chams, it was posted on these forums, so thats the main reason why i went and brought some, do u think it would be best to take it out and just leave the watercress in?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
well like i said, its fiborous, meaning it tends to result in diarrhea, which obviously isnt too pleasant. As long as it doesnt take too much of a fondness for it and gutloading himself with i wouldnt bother taking it out, just watch he doesnt go crazy for it. Dont forget to cover your soil up as well. Use large pebbles or pieces of slate that are too big to be swallowed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts