Reptile Forums banner

What do you keep your snake in?

2K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  mstypical 
#1 ·
Ok, so im looking at getting a snake, well I will be getting a snake but anyway back to the point, SWMBO does not like rubs! so im just wondering if people could show me some set ups of what they keep there snakes in to give me some sort of ideas and photos if possible! its more than likely going to be a corn snake. I do like the exo terras, but as I know most people keep geckos in im not too sure if there suitable?

Thanks

:2thumb:

#4 ·
I keep all my snakes at the moment in vivs, I'm not against using RUBs though I think they serve a great purpose in our hobby.
These are the vivs I'm currently using (Any excuse to show some pictures:2thumb:)

My smaller arboreal viv, it's changed quite a bit now but slightly similar layout

My bigger arboreal viv

My burms viv

And a 2ft set up that never got used

#5 ·
Rubs needn't be instantly perceived as bad - they are simply smaller enclosures, and can be as thought out as a vivarium.

One of mine:

That's a 650 gram girl you can just about see there. She was a total none feeder when I got her at 220 grams (15 months old). She's lived in there all the time I've had her, and thrives.

#11 ·
Rubs needn't be instantly perceived as bad - they are simply smaller enclosures, and can be as thought out as a vivarium.

One of mine:

That's a 650 gram girl you can just about see there. She was a total none feeder when I got her at 220 grams (15 months old). She's lived in there all the time I've had her, and thrives.
That looks really nice, much better than just newspaper and a water bowl. Looks better than a lot of vivs.

#8 ·
Corn set up...2ft vivexotic but will be going in a 4 foot Long 18inches High and 2ft deep custom viv in less than 3 weeks.
Yes she does climb the branch and it gets lots of use

and the madame

carpet set up (excuse the writing i did photo as a aid yesterday) same viv, but going into a 4x3x2 custom in less than 3 weeks

and the madame who is in blue

#17 ·
I'm keeping my bci in a rub at the min, have ordered a viv from blue lizard reptiles but not turned up yet (2nd time I've ordered from them and would not recommend) The reason for the change is the heat mat is not keeping very good ambient temps when my heating is off causing a regurge. Also the snake was not used to having a cold end as she was used to having a constant temp from where I got her. I'm really proud of her as its been ages for the viv to turn up, she has been getting used to the cold end and spending less time there , so I fed her 3 days ago and she hasn't regurgitated, good girl and not long now till you get your new home. I feel strongly about the animals I keep in my house as I want the best for em

#19 ·
Have you thought about an oil filled radiator to use when your heating isn't on? I keep my snakes/spiders in the same room which is heated with my central heating and when that goes off I then switch on the oil filled radiator, they're thermostat controlled, efficient and don't cost that much to run.

#18 ·
I'm not totally convinced snakes are particularly bothered what they are kept in as long as they feel secure!

I've got a few youngsters in RUBs and a couple in plastic fauariums, but all of my larger snakes are in wooden vivs. My main reason for choosing these sorts of vivs are that it's easier to match dimensions you'd like to the snake you are putting in it 9especially as I like to build my own vivs.

The other main reason is that it is simply possible to locate things you want to place in the viv without too much difficulty.

#26 ·
I keep all of mine in wooden vivs except the crestie that has an exo terra. I have nothing against RUBS and would probably use them if they made some the same size as the vivs I use. You can make RUBS just as nice as a viv with a little effort.

#29 ·
I keep all of mine in wooden vivs except the crestie that has an exo terra. I have nothing against RUBS and would probably use them if they made some the same size as the vivs I use. You can make RUBS just as nice as a viv with a little effort.

I'm really liking how you've done your vivs and I especially like the table/climbing/basking thingys you have in most of them, are those something you made yourself?

#28 ·
I use ProCages, Rhino Vivs (I think these have now been taken over?), and glass vivariums.

#34 ·
I use home-made wooden set-ups, pro-cages and some rubs for transfer/temp housing as required. I plan to replace the wooden set with more pro-cages in the future.

#38 ·
My sub-adult corn is in a viv, and the rest (babies) at the moment in fauns.

My only (personal) dislike of RUBs is their slight opaqueness. I prefer the glass and clear plastic. Though I appreciate some shy reptiles might like this, I like to see what's going on myself. I recently moved my baby gecko from a RUB to a faun and I like to actually see the gecko, rather than a vague gecko shape :lol2:

just my opinion and preference.

I personally wish very much the smallest faunarium wasn't SO small. I think they are perfect. Lightweight, easy to move, easy to wash ... wish some were made a bit bigger. You would think the makers would have seen the huge upswing in RUB buying and seen the niche ...

Red 123 THANK YOU :notworthy:

There I was thinking I had too many reps for my room.

Ailsa - do you mean you don't use heat mats at all, just heat the room?

#41 ·
I use both vivs and rubs, depending on the snake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.