Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do people here work with exotics as well as keep them?

sorry for being intrusive i'm just a bit curious :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Reactions: HowseR21

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sadly no... I work in a warehouse moving boxes from one point to another *sigh*

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
I'm now retired - but was a legal secretary, even though my first job offer was for a girl groom in a racing stable!

I now volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary where I mostly do education, going out to school and having school trips in where I teach them about wildlife. I also take some of our animals out to fundraise.

I'm also a Volunteer Blue Cross children's speaker, so I go into schools and teach children about proper pet care and safety around dogs.

And finally I'm also a volunteer for German Shepherd Dog Rescue, where I do mostly fundraising.

So basically I'm now a professional volunteer, but only to benefit animals!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I work with a llama and his keeper doing llama trekking, which is pretty awesome! :2thumb:

And my other full time job is looking after my mini zoo in the house!!! Haha :whistling2:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I studied animal care at college for 4 years to leave a couple of months ago to find that there are no animal jobs where I live..

Going to get into the hobby of breeding African pygmy hedgehogs and maybe some reps :2thumb:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish, i worked as an Animal care technician at a college for a bit, and they had a few exotic mammals as well as reptiles etc. and when i was studying i did some work placement at a butterfly house but that's as far as it goes *sob*

I'm unemployed now :(
i went to the zoo today and went in the butterfly house, had the tiniest little glasswinged butterflY perched on my finger for the best part of 15 minutes before i had to leave because it was so hot in there and i couldn't handle being away from the jaguar enclosure any longer, BUT I LOVE BUTTERFLIES :lol2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
i went to the zoo today and went in the butterfly house, had the tiniest little glasswinged butterflY perched on my finger for the best part of 15 minutes before i had to leave because it was so hot in there and i couldn't handle being away from the jaguar enclosure any longer, BUT I LOVE BUTTERFLIES :lol2:
Chester, by any chance?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, the fact that you're from Liverpool, butterflies and Jaguars. I did a "Keeper For A Day" there on the Jaguar and Bat section, which also included the Bears, it was absolutely amazing seeing it from the keepers angle.
i went to see the bears but couldn't spot them :censor:, i love the bat section, i love the jaguars too but you can barely see in their outside enclosure :censor: was a bit worried too with all the free ranging ducks right outside. i think the tropical realm and the red panda are my favourite though :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
318 Posts
After doing my NC, Hnc, Hnd in animal care and a year and a half of vet nursing...

I ended up a dog groomer :whistling2:

But in those years I worked a fair amount with reptiles as part of 'daily duties', as my college called it : victory: honestly not sure I'd give up the grooming (creative outlet wooo!) to take a job in exotics.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I work as an animal keeper
i over see the day to day care of various reptiles, agri pets (kune kune pigs, goats ect)
Various species of birds and a couple species of exotic mammals :)
Not to mention an over abundance of little kids lol

After just over a year of not getting anywhere with work, losing my home and having to part with most things i love, my three years at college finally paid off when i get something back from applying from the above job, couldnt be happier :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.