Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My googles not working atm so I can't link you to a site :( if you type "heterozygous definition" into google some sites will be able to tell you what it means. It's all to do with genes, alleles and that sort of thing.
I think basically it means that the snake has the genes and stuff for a certain morph but it doesn't have the appearance but it affects the appearance of the babies if they breed.
So if you have 2 normal corns and ones het for something then the babies wouldn't look like normals.
: victory:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My googles not working atm so I can't link you to a site :( if you type "heterozygous definition" into google some sites will be able to tell you what it means. It's all to do with genes, alleles and that sort of thing.
I think basically it means that the snake has the genes and stuff for a certain morph but it doesn't have the appearance but it affects the appearance of the babies if they breed.
So if you have 2 normal corns and ones het for something then the babies wouldn't look like normals.
: victory:
oh so it means het! they got 1 male and 1 female heterozygous for albino for 500£ Im seriously might be thinking about this!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Awesome! :D
Would you be breeding them?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Het is short for Heterozygous, yes.

And heterozygous means exactly and only "the two genes of the pair are different".

A royal python that is heterozygous for Albino has one albino gene and one not-albino gene on that gene pair and looks normal.

A royal python that is heterozygous for Pastel has one pastel gene and one not-pastel gene on the pastel gene pair and looks like a visual pastel.

And a royal python that is heterozygous for Spider has one spider gene and one not-spider gene on the spider gene pair and looks like a visual spider (which looks exactly the same whether it's het or homozygous).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Het is short for Heterozygous, yes.

And heterozygous means exactly and only "the two genes of the pair are different".

A royal python that is heterozygous for Albino has one albino gene and one not-albino gene on that gene pair and looks normal.

A royal python that is heterozygous for Pastel has one pastel gene and one not-pastel gene on the pastel gene pair and looks like a visual pastel.

And a royal python that is heterozygous for Spider has one spider gene and one not-spider gene on the spider gene pair and looks like a visual spider (which looks exactly the same whether it's het or homozygous).
lol that's a better answer :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
A royal can be heterozygous for a spider morph but it will not necessarily lok like a spider morph. Only if the Spider allele is dominant will it look like a spider. If the spider allele is reccessive it will look normal. But have good chance of producing spider offsoring if mated withanother het spider or spider. Hope that helped

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
A royal can be heterozygous for a spider morph but it will not necessarily lok like a spider morph. Only if the Spider allele is dominant will it look like a spider. If the spider allele is reccessive it will look normal. But have good chance of producing spider offsoring if mated withanother het spider or spider. Hope that helped
Spider IS dominant, Ste - that's what I described in my example.

A het spider royal is visually a Spider royal.
A homozygous spider royal is visually a Spider royal.
A royal who is not carrying Spider at all is a normal.

Part of the problem is that people do not understand that dominant and codominant morphs have hets too - it's just the LOOK that is different.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Spider IS dominant, Ste - that's what I described in my example.

A het spider royal is visually a Spider royal.
A homozygous spider royal is visually a Spider royal.
A royal who is not carrying Spider at all is a normal.

Part of the problem is that people do not understand that dominant and codominant morphs have hets too - it's just the LOOK that is different.
My apologies if i seemed contadicting, i was merely explaining that even tho somethin is het it will not always appaer the same unless the allele is dominant. I was unaware that spider allele was dominant as my knowledge is more specified to humans as opposed to reps. It was a poor example of me to use. No offence to yourself was intended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts