Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My googles not working atm so I can't link you to a site :( if you type "heterozygous definition" into google some sites will be able to tell you what it means. It's all to do with genes, alleles and that sort of thing.
I think basically it means that the snake has the genes and stuff for a certain morph but it doesn't have the appearance but it affects the appearance of the babies if they breed.
So if you have 2 normal corns and ones het for something then the babies wouldn't look like normals.
: victory:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Awesome! :D
Would you be breeding them?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Het is short for Heterozygous, yes.

And heterozygous means exactly and only "the two genes of the pair are different".

A royal python that is heterozygous for Albino has one albino gene and one not-albino gene on that gene pair and looks normal.

A royal python that is heterozygous for Pastel has one pastel gene and one not-pastel gene on the pastel gene pair and looks like a visual pastel.

And a royal python that is heterozygous for Spider has one spider gene and one not-spider gene on the spider gene pair and looks like a visual spider (which looks exactly the same whether it's het or homozygous).
lol that's a better answer :2thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.