Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peepz i know this will probably a stupid question and there plenty of obvious answers,
But what are the best fruit's to feed my WD and is there anything i should ad to them
Thanks for any help : victory:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess ill just have to try him on some different things,
Is there anything they shouldn't have that can harm them?

Thanks for the speedy reply :lolsign:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
you dont have to feed water dragons fruit and vegs some wont touch it all just gut load your crixs and locusts with it instead, mine only get the odd grape when there out and nick mine :lol2:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a nother little thing how many crix should i give him i dont want to over feed him coz his only tiny :lol2:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
10-15 a day roughly depends on the water dragon some will need more some less :google: "water dragon care sheets" should bring up all the information you need

·
Registered
846 Posts
mine loved papaya fruit tesco's sell it in tins(tropical fruit mix) about 70p a tin
its in natural juices and it has a high calcium to phosphorus ratio
strawberries and blackberries are also good and you can buy the frozen summer fruit mix from icelands etc and just lift out what you need.just remember to chop it up finely for small dragons

Only feed fruit say 1 out of 4 feedings or as a treat:)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for that bit of a odd thing to ask but has anyone seen white crickets come out of a batch or browns?
i was just feedin him and 1 was white i got a vid lol :lol2:

YouTube - Zhen eating

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
water dragon

the white crix are normal, they are just shedding their skin so turn white :lol2:

·
Registered
846 Posts
ive seen them its because they have shed their old skin whilst growing they do turn brown after a while

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
water dragon

great video by the way, and gorgeous dragon and set up:grin1:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
mine wont eat any fruit or greens, but my little runt water dragon will eat organic pure fruit baby food from a syringe. she seems to love it.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
mine doesn't touch fruit or mice. i gave her a mouse the other day and she spat it out with discust and wouldn't eat anything after that. with regards to feeding it, it depends on size but when they are small feed them as much as they will eat in one sitting everyday, then as it grows cut back to every other day. once fully grown feed every third day. mine sticks her noise up in the air when she'd had enough (little maddam) :smile:

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you go here:

Melissa Kaplan's Green Iguana Care Collection

and scroll down to the diet section there are some links to what foods are recommended to iguanid lizards. Water dragons are of the agamidae family which is a lineage of the iguanid family. There are some fruits and vegetables where are recommended in small doses because of their calcium:phosphorous ratio or oxylate content. If you stick to what Kaplan suggests on her website then you will be fine.

As the others have said, some Dragons eat fruit and veg. some don't. I would suggest you blend it up and put it in a bowl, leave it in the enclosure for an hour and then remove it. The lizard will be able to smell it and if they are interested they will eat it, otherwise don't worry.

Remember to gut load your insects and you will be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts