Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what hay can i use for my tortoise to sleep in. i have some that rabbits use but i dont know where i can get readigrass or any other hay before i go away in a week or so so buying and having it posted could be an issue.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
you should be able to get 'graze on' or 'readigrass' (same product different name) from most petshops, horse feed places or ebay, hay isn't advisable because it harbours dust and mites whereas readigrass is freeze dried chopped grass with none of the above. Its taken the place of aubiose which used to be popular untill cases were reported of male torts taking the product into their rectums and some cases of the gut being perforated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well they hay i have from pets at home says its been specialy treated to remove mites,bugs and other bacteriu. is this ok to use then? obviously ill change it a little bit more frequently if it is?

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Normal 'hay' (not readigrass) isn't recommended really for tortoise use as it can be too drying, scratch eyes and also harbors spores when it gets damp. I just use top soil for mine to bed down in and they can then dig about and scrape in it and get comfy :2thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i stopped using top soil after my tortoise started eating it and passed some stones (which i hadn't seen) and caused bleeding. glad to say he's ok now but i was a lil scarred at the time :S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts