Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says...

Just wondering what hooks people like to use. I'm not that experienced with hooks yet, only used them a few times. I do quite like the midwest stuff but to be fair I'm not impressed by the build quality on them.
I see on the odd video that Viperkeeper seems to use the ace-capture hooks ? I was thinking of ordering one or two of these to see what they are like.

Mike

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't use tongs at all, having said that I don't deal with front fanged venomous really, Richard does all that as they are his snakes. I just help out with the other stuff.
But I want to learn to use the hooks, mainly for some of the boiga and the Malpolon, though could be handy for things like really fiesty coachwhips and sand snakes.

Mike

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I don't keep front fanged, I don't really want to as the only real front fanged I like are the mambas and the australian elapids. Not really the best venomous to start with really.
I only like them as they are like racers so really I can keep the same sort of thing only non or mildly venomous.

I'm not that taken with venomous to keep really, though some of the rear fanged are fascinating. To me a gaboon is really just a more dangerous blood python so again no interest in keeping that sort of thing. Some of the arboreal vipers are pretty cool (though boring like GTP's), but I'd only want them for show pieces.

I've seen a fair few venomous close up now, the cobra's I quite like and the kings are nice but to me it's only been the australian stuff and the mambas that really caught my attention. The mambas because they showed much more intelligence and the australian ones because they just look like they know they can kill you. (one taipan used to curl it's lip to show the fang when you stared at it).

I can get as much if not more kicks out of rear fanged as you can safely free handle them as long as you don't mind the odd bite. Keeps you on your toes without the stress of full venomous.

Mike
Mike

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
nice hooks, i like the larger one, not a fan of tongs, but if they work then there handy i guess: victory:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
where can you get tongs like that over here

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You can't, you have to order them from mid west tongs, according to Dana the owner of midwest tongs, there are NO European distributors for them (and they're not looking for any either), but it you do huge bulk orders three times a year (as in $10,000) they will give you a discount. However, Glades will have some of the gentle giants on their table at Hamm at the weekend. :)

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
we got a quote from midwest, shipping was $170 which between two people works out at about £40 each which isnt too bad

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mid west mini hook! the red long bugger! best hook ever. Handled many specis with this right through from vipers to elapids. highly reccommed this remote handling tool.

Iri Gill

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I use the "Midwest Mini hook and Pinner Combo"

Cant beat it, perfect for moving those little to medium sized tackers around

1 - 20 of 21 Posts