im going to have a snake

what shall i have

can you give caresheets with them if you can plx
thnx :)

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I dunno, what do you like the look of?

Most snakes (there are exceptions) are pretty easy to care for.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the smallest snake then

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want a snake that i can handle a lot and look at it a lot (spend a lot of time)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and that i can kepp them in small cages

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
what is the smallest snake then
The smallest? Is a type of Jamaican blind snake, it's about the size of a 20p piece. I have never seen one for sale in this country and I have a feeling they are protected.

The smallest that are realistically available... About 3ft. That covers a few species.

What size viv do you have room for? Snakes don't require a massive amount of space.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Do you have a good rep shop near you that sells snakes? If so go and have a good look round see what takes your fancy then go from there,do lots of research and see if they are what you can look after properly especially when it comes to adult size .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a 28 quart /26 liter box

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no good pet shops near only my worsed enemy PETS AT HOME

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
You don't seem very interested in providing for the snake.

What kind of budget are you working with, for a snake and all the necesary equiptment?

The smallest? Is a type of Jamaican blind snake, it's about the size of a 20p piece. I have never seen one for sale in this country and I have a feeling they are protected.

The smallest that are realistically available... About 3ft. That covers a few species.

What size viv do you have room for? Snakes don't require a massive amount of space.
Kenyan sand boas are quite docile, and males only really get to about 2ft.
But like Lord Vetinari has stated, the cheaper and more common snakes get "too big" for you.
Blind snakes and so on are rareley sold, a trio was sold in 2007 in Doncaster (Brahminy Blind Snakes), for abour £400 or something.
However there is a correlation between snake size and visible activity. You're less likeley to find a small snake which is always out and about.

Garters are quite interesting, and males can stay quite small if you go for the right subspecies. I have a pair of males together, adults, and they're only about 60cm long, however not great with being handled.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Hognose snakes don't get that big & can live in a 2' viv (24.5L RUB would probably be big enough for an adult :2thumb:). Quite easy to care for, just make sure you buy an established feeder that feeds on defrosted mice :whistling2:.

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
i want a snake that i can handle a lot and look at it a lot (spend a lot of time)
You haven't really thought this out have you.
Snakes are not sociable animals and would naturally shy away from, and avoid contact with, humans. They are not animals to be treated as a "pet" to be taken out and held every five minutes. Many snakes prefer to be left alone. Constant and unnecessary handling can lead to stress, which in turn often leads to a refusal to feed.

To say "I'm going to have a snake, now tell me what I can have to fit in this little box and how to keep it" doesn't come across well at all. If you are set on a snake, do a lot of research first, in books as well as the internet, find local shops that sell reptiles and see them in the flesh. Decide on the species you really like, then research the husbandry and start saving for the housing. Set this up, then get the snake.

Rather than finding a small spare box and then trying to find a snake to fit in it.

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'd say look at house snakes - i've got two cape house snakes, they resemble worms and dont get too large. Also tend to have very very nice temperaments and are versatile when it comes to temps. They are quite flighty, but tend to calm down in hand.
They're not expensive, and can be a more cheaper snake....if you can find them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm not being funny but I spent 6 months reading everything I could find on all the snakes I liked the look of before I got my first. The attitude you seem to have on this thread is "I'm to lazy to do the work my self so you do it for me and tell me what to get" so I will recommend that you don't bother at all.

Brian

1 - 20 of 24 Posts