Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

ive been looking through different threads and at pictures of peoples indoor enclosures and just wondered what substrate was best for hermann tortoise?

i use wood chips at the moment and did have some turf across a strip of her enclosures but it died off and was not very good.

i also want to give her different things to do in her enclosure when she is indoors so she doesnt get bored like things to climb over etc was thinking of flower pots but she just seems to push them around.

any ideas always welcome

cheers

·
Registered
683 Posts
hi guys

ive been looking through different threads and at pictures of peoples indoor enclosures and just wondered what substrate was best for hermann tortoise?

i use wood chips at the moment and did have some turf across a strip of her enclosures but it died off and was not very good.

i also want to give her different things to do in her enclosure when she is indoors so she doesnt get bored like things to climb over etc was thinking of flower pots but she just seems to push them around.

any ideas always welcome

cheers
I use top soil and play sand mixed... along with some oystershell for her basking area under her bulb :O)

·
Registered
683 Posts
forgot to mention, I also use readigrass for her sleeping area... she seems to love it, and it smells great too :)

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Being outside this time of the year is great for them too.
Inside its recommended soil and playpit sand, to replicate what they are on in the wild.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
I use 100% top soil as I found the sand dried things out too much and aggravated the tortys eyes. I've made hills and mounds for mine in their tables using pots and slates and some stones etc to clamber over. As PP said ideally the tortoise should be outside in the lovely weather : victory:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys, ill try some top soil but not sure about play sand as the last time i put some in her table she just kept eating the sand.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
If your tortoise eats the sand, either lessen the amount of sand, or just use soil. I use garden soil in mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts