Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my son wants a lizard or a pair of lizards for his own. We said he could chose one, research it then we would get it for his birthday at the end of November.
He desperatly wants a beardie (so do I) but looking into them it would cost around 10.00 a week feeding and alot of money on a fair sized viv
Any suggestions for a good starter lizard for a youngster?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what my rep shop told me for 2 beardies. We would have 1 but dont want it to be lonely.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about viv size for the first year, what would you use?

·
Registered
146 Posts

Its debatable if reptiles get lonely but they generally get on fine by themselves. they like company to breed and seem to like being in pairs or groups. My beardy doesnt mind being along as he gets alot of human attention. A single beardy will be ok so long as he gets attention. As for how much to spend a week i own a young beardy and i spend around £5 - £7 a week on him and the veg it cheap. As for the viv size for a single beardy id say no smaller than 3ft that way the beardy will have space to run around etc. I think beardies are a great starter lizard as they are so friendly and love attention. Beardies are easy to keep so long as you have the set up exactly right. Good luck on choosing a reptile keep us updated on what you decide.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi. I just got hubby a BD for his birthday (men just never grow up, it's wonderful!) 8)
Cost me £250 for everything: viv, heat/light, substrate & the little poppet herself. She's called Smaug after the dragon in the Hobbit. :roll:
She eats 10-12 crix/day so 1 tub a week (that's only £2.50 a week/£10 a month) Also some greens but she will take well washed dandelion leaves which I get for free when I weed my mum's garden.
She is happy on her own: gets all the contact she needs from Hubby, Son & me. She likes people and shows it. :D
She's in a 3ft viv and will stay there for a long time, possibly forever depending how big she gets.
That's our BD: cheap, cheerful and more fun than a barrelful of electric eels!

·
Registered
191 Posts
:!: Don't forget to post when you decide what you're getting. And pix when you get them & details etc. You can't tell half a story, you know! We're curious now.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heh, I will, I think He's decided on a Beardie, and we are going to build the viv.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
my pair of beardies cost me 5quid a week. my setup cost me 326 quid, but that was from quite an expesive hsop as it is the only one i can get to, and my card don't work on the net so i don't like ordering things off it. and i think you should start with the permanent viv. it gives them loads more room, and as long as you don't go huge they shouldn't get nervous, and they will still find their food.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Our initial outlay for our beardie viv was over £450, but we bought from a shop so coulda saved i guess and as for food for the 2 youngsters they wer gettin through 4 tubs of crix a week plus veg, so about £13 a week for the 2.

·
Registered
191 Posts
8) Cool choice, Missbehavin! Building the viv means you get what you want instead of what the store has in stock. BD's are fun! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts