Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bassically I have a male purple retic but it's 'purple' is more of a lavender colour and I've been told it is defo a purple and it's the oranges around the purple that makes it a purple. So I'm a little confused on how to accurately identify a purple.

And im also confused how they are produced. I've been told its only lavs that can make them (and the other two phases) but I've also been told its only purples that can make purples.

Can any one shed some light on this please? :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Lav X Lav = all 3 phases
Purple X Lav = Purples and Lavs
Purple X White = Lavs

Some times you will get a really dark lav that looks purple but you will only know if you breed it to another albino :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O what's the main things to look for spotting purple? And what about purple to a het?

Cheers for you reply :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obvious in what ways? Lol

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If we are talking straight out the egg you would probably have to wait till they shed to see the proper colour, that's all I think it is, purely the colour, obviously people like Bob Clark, Jay Brewer etc could tell straight away, just cos they have seen so many.

I think when breeding a het you can possibly get everything. Not 100% though. With some combos it makes a lavender when genetically it is supposed to be a purple, ie the first purple super tigers took a few breedings as supers are brighter it makes the whole snake lighter, turning it into a lav when it is supposed to be purple. If that makes sense LOL

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A it makes sense lol.

I've been told its not just the colour on the actual pattern it's the colours arou d it too if you get me? I have a 'light purple' that looks like a lav but I've been told its 100% purple and there are dark lavs that look really purple so I r
Really need help accurately identifying purples lol

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
If we are talking straight out the egg you would probably have to wait till they shed to see the proper colour, that's all I think it is, purely the colour, obviously people like Bob Clark, Jay Brewer etc could tell straight away, just cos they have seen so many.

I think when breeding a het you can possibly get everything. Not 100% though. With some combos it makes a lavender when genetically it is supposed to be a purple, ie the first purple super tigers took a few breedings as supers are brighter it makes the whole snake lighter, turning it into a lav when it is supposed to be purple. If that makes sense LOL
With hets it depends on what phase albino the het was produced from, it can get confusing if that het was produced by 2 different phases itself. Not full understood yet i think!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Can see why it would get confusing lol. It's too early to try and work it out lol.

Cheers for the replies :) all I need to k ow now is an accurate way to identify them. if any one can help? :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I Can see why it would get confusing lol. It's too early to try and work it out lol.

Cheers for the replies :) all I need to k ow now is an accurate way to identify them. if any one can help? :D
I think the best way of doing it is literally just trawling through google and playing spot the difference. Have you got a picture of yours ?? : victory:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Few of my purple. Still not convinced if any one can point out some markers for me that'd be nice. It looks like a lav but I've been told its 100% purple.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's definitely not a tiger! Lol. Someone told me a purple is to do with the oranges on him?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I don't know how to explain the differences but i'm pretty certain thats a purple.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
That's not purple!!! It's yellow !! :whistling2:

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's definitely not a tiger! Lol. Someone told me a purple is to do with the oranges on him?
Id say its a lavender mate my lav has the same oranges on her sides where as a purple to me looks like a caramel : victory:

·
Registered
783 Posts
This is a purple i had

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a nice purple!! I'm gunna have to get in touch with the breeder and ask him of he remembers breeding him. If he's a lav I'll be really annoyed lol but I would still keep him :) lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts