Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What on Earth is this? Just opened up my AFT's cave 5 minutes ago to check if she'd done her business and I was greeted with THIS:

It's still a little wet and kinda soft (poked with tweezers, not fingers lol) But she hasn't been anywhere near a male for the month I've had her, she lives completely on her own, so there's no way it can be an egg...can it? If not then what IS it?

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But she's been nowhere near a male for a month... it's possibly she might have been with one before I got her, but is it possible for them to lay eggs without having male contact?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
most reptiles can retain sperm so even if she hasnt seen one for months she could still be preggo

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
animals can still lay infertile eggs without a male in the case of some even fertile ones

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
no harm in incubating it anyway, i thought they normally lay in pairs so maybe ull get another

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
most reptiles can retain sperm so even if she hasnt seen one for months she could still be preggo
*nods* fatties are like leo's in that respect ~ they can store sperm from a previous mating for I would say up to a year ... they can also lay infertile eggs without having been previously mated too .... either way would feed/supplement/treat the female as if she had been mated as she'll still be using vital reserves and will need the extra ;)

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my goodness but I had no idea! I have no incubator because I had absolutely no intention to breed her and I thought she was too young and unlikely to have mated whilst in the care of the bloke I got her from! Would it be safe on the heat mat (if it is fertile)? Until I find out what to do:gasp: This is so unexpected, I'm absolutely panicking, and I don't know how to move the egg without damaging it! Ohhh she is such an evil little thing for doing this to me! :devil:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
you will need a whole new setup, incubator is a must, its difficult to maintain the correct temperature without

·
Registered
13,799 Posts
nice egg, lol

theres lots of threads with instructions on how to make one with a polybox, either with a submersible fish tank heater or a mat and stat.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A new setup isn't possible, though, at least not today... I don't have the ability to go out and get an incubator or another heat source and the like...at least not until my mum gets home.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
well get a small container (like the ones live food come in) put some damp vermiculite in it and put the egg half submerged in it (the same way up as you found it) and put it on the heat mat... there are advice threads on this forum...

u dont need the setup yet just need one for when it hatches.

alternatively call your local rep shop, i did years ago when my leo unexpectadly laid eggs and the bloke there came and collected them and incubated them for me.. nice chap

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haaa my local rep shop isn't open on a Monday... helpful man :whip: and I have no vermiculite... would moss be alright as a substitute or flannel? I'm looking into stealing my dad's spare fish tank heater but it's all coming so fast...evil little Panya lol

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
umm im no expert but try sand?? have a quick look through the breeding threads, as soon as it happened to me i called the guy straight away and he came straight away. does he have an out of hours number

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got in touch with JC Exotics on their emergency number... she WAS housed with males before I got her. I can take the egg in tomorrow for him to incubate, but looking at the egg now I think it might be infertile. It's been in that cave from potentially 11 'o' clock this morning and it hasn't hardened at all...it's still thin and soft. Will incubate it anyway just in case with what resources I have at my disposal. Upon calming down and being able to stop shaking and think straight, I'll get on to setting some things up, since I'll probably be getting another tonight :devil:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
congrats anyway, just get the plastic tub ready and stick both in, it might still be alright, just make sure they are the same way up as when u found them, the eggs are pretty soft anyway btw

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
congrats anyway, just get the plastic tub ready and stick both in, it might still be alright, just make sure they are the same way up as when u found them, the eggs are pretty soft anyway btw
But I thought they hardened to make that outer shell? If she lays anymore I'll transfer them into a larger container, but for now I don't want to move the egg about too much. I was just so worried because she's been off her food these last couple of days, she's in the middle of a shed and she's been losing weight...she does not look her best at the moment, poor thing lol. I certainly was not anticipating a gravid female!
Thanks for the advice guys, I kinda hope she'll improve a little now, and something in me hopes these eggs are fertile as well so all my worrying would have been for the good of potential babies : victory:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
o also, u might wana give her some extra supplementation as they lose a lot of calcium when they lay

1 - 20 of 36 Posts