Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always absolutely LOVED keeping rats, but this month two of the three rats I had have now died, leaving just one left. After this final year of my college degree I need to save, save, save so I can move out, and until then I can't spare much for things like vet bills anymore.

I worked out that I tend to spend £100-£200 per rat for vet bills during their last days and although I'm extremely gutted about not keeping them for a few years until I'm financially able I'd like to have a pet to look forward to that doesn't require a vet.

My mum said I'm allowed another snake (which surprised me SO much since I had to practically beg for her to let me bring the first one into her house!), but like I said, the problem is money in the long term.

SO, I'll ask you this, who can reccomend me a pet that isn't expensive to keep in anyway? (If it's expensive to buy the actual animal or habitat that's okay, as I'm not going to start saving until next year).

ANY type of animal is fine to reccomend, I love animals and insects of all kinds :D

So far I'm thinking maybe African pygmy mice or beetles....I don't know, give me some ideas :)

edit: oh! and fish and spiders are out of the question ;) ....so maybe not ALL kinds then lol!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
why dont you get insurance? you can pay in one lump or pay in monthly instalments, I was quoted £140 for 3 snakes and 1 lizard against vet bills/death and loss.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, in that case I could get another snake. Except the nearest reptile vet to Norwich is quite a drive away for me to ask a lift off of someone and I'd like to minimize the likelihood of me having to ask. If I find a closer vet I may get another snake with insurance :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts