Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a Royal Python. Is it best to get one at a particular age?? I would like to get one from a young age so I can watch it grow. Also is any particular sex better to get??

·
I am here to annoy you :)
6,588 Posts
Best off getting one that has already established a eating pattern, as some but not all hatchlings can be problem feeders. Also look into royals a bit before getting one. And if poss ask to see it eating, to make sure it does.
Sex doesnt matter, at this stage I take it youre not into breeding them. But make sure you get the housing correct, royals prefer confined places rather than loads of room like most snakes.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
i would get a baby and males are smaller

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I'd get a young snake as you want to watch it grow.

there's no difference between males and females if you just want a pet but if you might be thinking of future breeding then get a female first as she'll take longer to mature than a male.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have found in my experience that to buy them from a young age about the 150g mark is best. That way you know they haven't been power fed. Also if you buy anything around the 800g - 1000g mark, you may find them to be fussy at feeding, as they generally are fussy around that weight, and this will stress you out know end. At least if you buy them young and small and get them feeding well, when the time comes that they do go off their food, you will know in your mind that it's the snake and not you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice everyone, have been to a breeder the other day and handled a four year old, have been reading up ever since. Not sure if its worth spending the extra money and getting something like a pastel instead of a normal?

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
thanks for the advice everyone, have been to a breeder the other day and handled a four year old, have been reading up ever since. Not sure if its worth spending the extra money and getting something like a pastel instead of a normal?

If you really like the Pastel's & maybe have plans in the future to breed then i would say go for a female as she will be growing on ready for when you get a male. It would all depend on the budget you have to as to what you get. A Normal female will cost on average between £35-£65 depending on where you go, a Pastel female will cost anywhere from £200 upwards. Expect to pay more from a shop, breeders often are cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again thanks, got no plans of breeding. Think I will continue just looking around at the moment hopefully come across some pastels so I can actually see them and decide whether its worth spending the extra. Personally I think normals actually look better than some of the morphs I've seen on the net.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Again thanks, got no plans of breeding. Think I will continue just looking around at the moment hopefully come across some pastels so I can actually see them and decide whether its worth spending the extra. Personally I think normals actually look better than some of the morphs I've seen on the net.
I didnt have breeding plans in the first place, oh how things have changed. Pastels look really nice though, and if you have the money, why not?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts