Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter bought a 4 1/2 ft corn snake last night and was told by its previous owners it only needed 1 small mouse every 14 days,ive told her i think its way underfed on that amount but as i havent got any corns,advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
622 Posts
I used to feed my old corn snake (which was around 3ft long) on a single adult mouse every eight days. One mouse every two weeks does seem a bit strange to say the least.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i thought,she rang me today and said she had offered food as she was told it was feeding day today,she claims snake really went for mouse big time so i adviced her to feed it 2 today,let in settle in its new home then feed every 8-9 days,really wanted to just double-check as like i said before,i havent got corn snakes and dont really know there feeding requirements

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
It's a bit more complicated than that ;)

How old (ish) is the animal?
What does the corn weigh?
Can we see pictures of it to assess it's general condition?

I'd be inclined to guess that a medium every 10-14 days is a bit more likely though.
Remember, don't get too caught up with rigid feeding regimes, it can end up being more harmful than good. Individuals need food tailored to their size, weight, health status etc :D

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a bit more complicated than that ;)

How old (ish) is the animal?
What does the corn weigh?
Can we see pictures of it to assess it's general condition?

I'd be inclined to guess that a medium every 10-14 days is a bit more likely though.
Remember, don't get too caught up with rigid feeding regimes, it can end up being more harmful than good. Individuals need food tailored to their size, weight, health status etc :D
ive no idea to first 2 questions,,,sorry.have told her to sign up to this forum for advice,hopefully then she can put pic of it up,,also she claimed that not while straggly thin,its backbone was clearly visible

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
rats or mice

If she does sign up, get her to post pictures and weigh him. Might give posters an idea on what to feed. Mine isn't 3 foot yet and she feeds on medium mice every 7 days. Might get out of the routine though.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
She may be better increasing to 2 small mice a week then gradually increasing the size. A big jump straight away may put the snake off.
ok great,i got her to feed 2 small mice today,shes said there was no visible belly lump afterwards though and snake was still searching,can adult corns have rat weaners?or even small rats?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My snow corn is just over 2 years old, about 420g and almost 4 foot long - adult mice werent making any bulge at all so Ive just moved him up to jumbo mice (same size as a rat weaner). He doesnt seem to have much difficulty putting one away every week, once hes got a bit bigger I will reduce the frequency.

I would imaging that it should be eating at least an adult mouse every week :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
My three year old normal is 51/2ft and eats two large rat weaners every week.
At 41/2 ft he was extra large mice, 2 a week, and would have eaten more if I gave him them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts