Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im picking up my new common boa tomorow and im putting it in a 4x1x1 or a 4x2x2 viv and i was wondering what watt bulb i would need?can anyone help me please? thanks

G

·
I depends on what other heating you have in there to be honest.I used to use a 60 watt reflector bulb on that size viv but i also had a heatmat in there as well you may even need to go to a 100 watt bulb but i would doubt it.Things you need to consider is that if the room is warm then the bulb will have very little to do so you may get away with a 40 watt bulb if it is extra cold then 100 watts is what will be needed.

I would go for 100 watt and use a dimmer stat that way you control the output

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my room isnt that warm its just about average room temperature,i am using a dimmer stat with it so should i just get a 60watt to be safe cuz im not sure if the viv is 4x1x1 or 4x2x2.but it should be ok shouldnt it?

G

·
It should be ok mate.I always looked at it as 24x15x15 needed a 25 watt buld 36x15x15 needed a 40 watt bulb and 48x15x15 needed a 60 watt bulb anything larger then needed to have either 100 watt bulb or ceramics

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As you're using a dimmer stat I'd go for the 100w to be on the safe side if the viv is 4x2x2.
Our house is about average temp and a 60w in a 3Lx2Dx18"H struggled a bit at times in cooler weather.
(BTW - I'm assuming we're talking about standard bulbs here not spot lamps)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im gonna get a spotlight bulb thets red,like the ones that are in the disco lights that flash lol.do u no what i mean?how about if the viv is 4x1x1 what bulb do u think i should get for that?thanks for your help mate

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually i think its 4 foot x18 inch x18 inch.so what do u think ?get a 60 or 100 watt? :?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If it's a spot bulb it'll concentrate the heat downwards better than a normal bulb - you may well get away with a 60w for 48x18x18, but 100w would definitely do it.
If they're on a stat then it doesn't really matter if they've got a bit of extra power in reserve, so I'd go for the 100w, especially if the viv is well ventilated.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I have a 60w in a 4x2x2 viv and it keeps the warm end at 92ish and the cool end at 84ish easily.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Suppose it depends on how warm the house is and the tye of ventilation in the viv.
I use to have a 36Lx24Hx18D for a CRB with a 100W spot lamp and it was on, I reckon, 3/4 power on an average winter night in a cool-ish house.

Just erring on the side of caution basically - better to have a bit of power in reserve if required rather than fall short. Although I reckon the stat would control the temp better with the lower wattage if that is all that's required.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
i reckon you'd be better going with a 100w ceramic in a warmish house or a 150w in a cold house during winter... In fact get a reptile radiator, only 75w so cheaper to run but will get your temp's right no matter what the season. Make sure its on a thermostat though! I've just ordered 5 of the bloody things to switch from ceramic bulbs to radiators!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I prefer ceramics over bulbs as well really - can be left on 24/7 if need be, with zero disturbance and they last years.

Welshgaz - I've never considered the radiators - can you get a thermal gradient ok with them? Do they need to be guarded like a ceramic?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
mark67123 said:
I prefer ceramics over bulbs as well really - can be left on 24/7 if need be, with zero disturbance and they last years.

Welshgaz - I've never considered the radiators - can you get a thermal gradient ok with them? Do they need to be guarded like a ceramic?
They don't need any guard whatsoever and they are super thin you don't even notice them in your viv's! They produce heat just like any other ceramic but they direct it downwards not up sideways and down therefore they are much more economical. They are 75w and probably produce the same heat as a normal 150w ceramic and above.... I've not used them yet obviously as I've only just ordered, but got 5 of them costing nearly £300 :evil:

I've seen them in action in Boa viv's and they look very good. The guy using them swares by them and reckons they will easily heat a 6*3*3 viv to 80-85f

Have a mucho at the PDF doc on them..

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Cheers, I'll have a read.

Reckon the price would have to come down a bit before I got rid of my ceramics though :shock:

Let us know how you get on with them when you've got yours fitted.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
mark67123 said:
Cheers, I'll have a read.

Reckon the price would have to come down a bit before I got rid of my ceramics though :shock:

Let us know how you get on with them when you've got yours fitted.
The reason we splashed out a sh$t load is because our leccy bill is getting bigger! We currently have 900watts of ceramic so hoping 5 of these babies using 375w is going to decrease it a shed load and in a few months they should pay for themselves!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I have a 6 foot by 2 foot with a heat nat and a normal 40 watt bulb on a dimmerstat and that is doing ok,I may need to change to a 60 watt bulb with winter coming,I'll just have to wait and see.Its for a royal though, Boas not big enough yet.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
markhill said:
I have a 6 foot by 2 foot with a heat nat and a normal 40 watt bulb on a dimmerstat and that is doing ok,I may need to change to a 60 watt bulb with winter coming,I'll just have to wait and see.Its for a royal though, Boas not big enough yet.
You keeping a Royal in a 6x2 viv, how big is the Royal?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
no, sorry its 4 foot long, hit the wrong key and wasnt looking.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
4's still quite large for a Royal viv though.. but if your not having any problems its not a problem! 8)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
no,no probs, shes happy and eats fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts