Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what size out of the following exo terra terraniums would be ideal for a pair of whites tree frogs?

30 x 30 x 30cm
30 x 30 x 25cm
45 x 45 x 45cm
45 x 45 x 60cm

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
They need a minimum of 30gallons for a pair, i have 1.1.1. in a 45X45X60 tall and i wouldnt have any smaller. I'd go for the nice tall one so they have plenty of hunting space! heaven knows they are clumsy!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah i have to agree. give them as much room as you can, they will use it :D

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
They really are so unpredicatble! mine all normally hudle together at the bottom (dont ask why?!!!) but today i see one of them right at the very top in a plant holder than he's displaced the poor airplant i bought from! I hadnt fixed it in yet as im out of aquarium silicone and he's made his feelings known by throwing it out! hes now hudled in the the plant holder!

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys will go for the largest one.

What sort of substrate you guys using? and are you using UV tube if so how you covering the tube?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i use moss mainly but i have used soil with moss over it too (if you use just soil they tend to make water very dirty very quickly). i also use a 5% uv tube on them, whether they need it or not i think its good for day/ night cycle. to cover the light you can get a piece of curved cork bark, it looks really good and does the job well. hope this helps :)

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
yer the 45x45x60!

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i use moss mainly but i have used soil with moss over it too (if you use just soil they tend to make water very dirty very quickly). i also use a 5% uv tube on them, whether they need it or not i think its good for day/ night cycle. to cover the light you can get a piece of curved cork bark, it looks really good and does the job well. hope this helps :)

Not sure what you mean, would this not block out the light? Do you have pics of yours, or could you explain better.

Thanks
Sy

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I have read lots of scientific reports which state that a heightened UV level is bad for amphibians (esp the tadpoles) so i believe what basky is saying is that the cork gives them somewhere to get away from it. I use a very low level UV bulb (mainly for my plants) but i also think its benficial to give them a day/night cycle. Of course you could do this with a normal bulb too. The studies have been conducted because of the increased UVB in our atmosphere due to o-zone layer etc etc blah blah but it does apply to a captive environment. If you think about it, they are nocturnal and in the wild they will not bask like other species that need higher levels of UV. Therefore the high uv bulbs like the 7% ones you buy for other reptiles may be harmful, or at least not be beneficial to the frogs health. The full implications have not yet be decided upon, but i am wary of using strong UV bulbs with mine. I've also read reports of it damaging their eyes but not seen any scientific proof to back it up so am taking that lightly.

P.s
(if you use just soil they tend to make water very dirty very quickly).
My god you are right! filthy little sods get the glass all mucky!!!

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Art so are you not using any UV? if not I presume all thats needed would be a basking bulb on top of terrarium?.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just read a bit about them on pollywog they advise using heatmats on a stat so probably go for that.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. They are nocturnal as most people believe they do not 'need' UV, however i have a very low level output one. You could use a basking lamp but ive been advised against them as they're a bit drying for amphibs and unless you can keep the humidity up they'll 'dry out'. I use a heat-mat for warmth in the winter, no need for anything in the summer, and if you dont want to use a UV just get a regular bulb (either household low wattage or one of those exoterra sunglo bulbs in a low wattage and put it on a timer. Mines on from 6am to 6pm. 12hr on, 12hr off.)

Works for me. A couple of people have asked to see my set up so after my exams (a couple of weeks) ill post a thread detailing what i do and how it all works). I use the 45X45X60 exo terra naturally planted.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No probs mate, I will order one of those terrariums 45x45x60 my mate can get them for £45, I presume this is a good price as he gets a discount.

Look forward to seeing your set up, looking at buying some in march but will get set up ready for end of feb.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
45 is an awesome price for the 45X45X60 tall, mine was discounted at 60! Wicked look forward to seeing yours too, any more adivce just pm me and ill help you out

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
sorry i don't have any pics of what i mean cause i use powersuns except for my frogs and they just have a tempory set-up at mo. when i get there new set-up done i'll post some pics. if your using real plants you'd need a uv tube but if not a bulb would do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts