Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I suggest feeding a rat over mouse as soon as you can. My boas do much better on rats. The rats have more nutrition than a mouse 8)

As for size, it should make a small but noticable lump in the snake. However it should not be so big as to stop the snake from moving or curling up. Remember, Royals like to hide so hopefully after eating your royal can still fit in the hiding spot :D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
junction said:
HI Just wanted to check what size mice/rat my 16inch Royal python should be eating?
Rat pup, small mouse or fuzzy mouse

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
liam_rokocoko said:
the prey item you should be feeding should be the same size in width or a little less than the widdest part of your snake
I think you meant one and a half times the thickest part of the snake.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Generally I'd go for anything between the thickest part of the snake and as said above 1 and 1/2 time that thickness...

Therefore if you have a 2" diameter snake its rat should be no thicker that 3" for example...

Also as above apparently Rats do have more nutritional value than mice so go with them if you can...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The way I always read it was that most snakes can reliably handle meals up to 1.5 times their girth, but a meal of equivalent girth, or a little bit under, is an adequate meal and is less likely to cause problems (regurges, etc).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for you help. off to pet shop tomorrow to some rat pinkys or fuzzies (I will check size!) :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts