Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

i want a snake but im still trying to make my mind up. this is my first snake but corns dont grab me

i would like a snake i can handle
active
easy to keep

i was thinking about a common boa/columbian rainbow boa as they look fooking gawjus but i still live with me parents as im only 16 and my mum has a couple of small dogs (toy poodles) these are a little bigger than a average rabbit and im scared of it getting out and eating them basicly. is there a way i can absolutly garuntee they would not get out of there viv like is there a way i could put a couple of padlocks on the viv or os this a bad idea for any reason

any surgestions out there for another species that i wouldnt have to worry about the dogs. parents are up for me for having the snake as my dad use to keep all sorts of lizards and rep while i was a lil kid

thanks in advance

steve

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Locking a viv is a good idea, but you can never guarentee against escapes, you may forget to lock it!

Rainbow boas would not be a threat to the dog - they are relativly slender boa, nowhere near as bis as a BCI. A Royal or Jungle Carpet would also be OK.

You could also consider Rats, Kings, Hognoses, Rosy/Sand boas.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I started with Garters there lovely small active interesting little snakes

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Yeah, garters are great little snakes, and live bearing too, so no eggs if you breed them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rainbow boas would not be a threat to the dog - they are relativly slender boa, nowhere near as bis as a BCI. A Royal or Jungle Carpet would also be OK.
if the rainbow is not threat then thats what im getting lol, kind od got my heart set on one, or two

thanks everyone

steve

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
if its your first snake i dont think a CRB is really suitable, they are harder to care for than "beginner" snakes and require accurate temps and humidity.
If you really dont want a corn go for a Royal Python, they wont get much bigger than 4 feet long and wont eat your mums dog.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A royal will not only not eat the dog, it may not eat anything! :D

Plus you couldn't really say they're the most active of snakes.

I'd say that rainbows and royals are on about the same level - not really beginners snakes but if you do plenty of research and get the setup right, you should be ok.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
thats not really fair on royals, i know some of them are a pain in the arse, but if you get a CB one and all requirements are met they are generally ok, i think the bad press comes from when people got WC ones and didnt know how to look after them properly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tbh I've got both corns and a CRB and my lil rainbow is about the same if not easier to look after then my corns in my experience, I duno maybe I got lucky :lol:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I had the same thing when I started 5 years ago, I didnt want a cornsnake, so I got a Taiwan Beauty...Best thing I ever did in this hobby. Ratsnakes are my thing, I have a real soft spot for them, they are great :D Most of the easily obtainable ones are easy to look after, but have a much better character than Corns, I wont get into it again but I like feisty snakes, and Ratsnakes fit the bill perfectly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
Rosy Boa, spotted python are two good 'starter' snakes and not your usual run of the mill specimens. Don't get to big either.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Was only joking about the royals :D
You couldn't call them an active species though.

I had a CRB as my second species of snake, having already had a few corns. As long as you've got the correct heating and keep the humidity up, then you shouldn't have too many probs - mine always fed really well.

Rainbow boa site:

http://www.rainbowboa.co.uk/

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Steve, for God's sake:

sergest = suggest
surgestion = suggestion

:lol:

As to snakes, my favourite ones are boas, royal pythons and corns :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
If i was starting again id buy a grown on royal something thats been happily eating for a year or two.
My two normals will eat any time any place one will even take when she is about to shed.
I got brave and bought an albino royal cb £££ seven months to convince it to eat, was i stressed.......hell yes.

Grown on royal would be my advice, and because im just pro royals really.

Dan

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dexter said:
Steve, for God's sake:

sergest = suggest
surgestion = suggestion

:lol:

As to snakes, my favourite ones are boas, royal pythons and corns :D
:oops: :oops: lol

cheers everyone, will look into the carpet python's and rat snakes

thanks agian

steve

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
hi steve,

personally as a starter snake i would suggest a corn, if you got a bog standard classic, and setup, and learnt how to handle and maintain correctly then within a a year or two, you could up grade to a larger and more challenging snake,

i woulld suggest that unless you have done alot of research, and visited some experienced people (every one has there own methods of doing things) to find out all the information first, stick to something easy,

And finally, from my personal veiw, if i was a breeder or shop owner, and i had a first time snake keeper coming to me trying to buy a 'challenging' snake, i would not sell to them, as you dont know how much experience or research they have done.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As everyone else suggests research them all before choosing
Personally I would say a Rat Snake too.... bit biased here though we have corns, CB & Grey rat and he/she (still don't know) is by far my fav, nice & chunky, but not overly heavy, is 'out' pretty much of the time and happy to be handled. I know babies can be a little bit snappy, but Im sure many Rat owners will say they soon calm down.
Good Luck with your new baby & happy choosing :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd suggest a corn snake, they look fantastic and are great snakes.

I have a BCI and there not really beginner snakes, they can be more easily upest in most cases. They are good snakes, but not a first one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts