Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People,

just wanting your input as i have been given conflicting advice of what is the best to house a royal, as i am planning to get one in a few months time. I was thinking Glass, but been told wood is better. Surely the humidity will warp it eventually no matter how well it is siliconed. What's your thoughts anyone :?: Cheers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A 3x18x18 wooden vivarium would be ideal, royal pythons don't need any extra humidity unless shedding so it shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Instead you could just use a RUB to house the snake, its much cheaper and wont be affected by any humidity.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
3ft eventually when adult is a nice size for a royal viv, you can get tough plastic vivs (google herptek or rhinovivs), but your best to start yourself with a hatchling thats a good feeder so you are going to need a rub or two while is grows. I would say a 9L then an 18L then into the viv in a couple of years. Very few young royals would do well being released into such a big viv straight away.​

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have housed mine in a wooden viv for a couple of years now and not had any problems.
Royals can be quite shy and prone to stress so a glass viv may not be the best option unless you cover the sides to give it a more "enclosed" look,also wood vivs hold the heat better which makes them cheaper to run and will suffer less heat fluctuations

·
Registered
402 Posts
A 3x18x18 wooden vivarium would be ideal, royal pythons don't need any extra humidity unless shedding so it shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Instead you could just use a RUB to house the snake, its much cheaper and wont be affected by any humidity.
We use wooden viv's and never had a problem they are easier to keep warm than glass and humidity isn't a problem on orchid bark etc

Sidders

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have my royal in a glass viv, but have covered small sheets of polystyreme with black plastic and taped these around 3 sides. Insulates the viv and gives a nice dark safe feel for him. He spends a lot of time outside his hides so I guess he likes it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Two Beardies. Hendrix and Zepplin [not really sure what morphs Hendrix is Greenish and Zep kinda blue/grey]
Two Staffies. Kaiser [Big Champange blue with white boy] and Sasha [Beautiful red and white]
Awe aye a wife and two weans as well. lol
and another little addition to the family a beautiful Anery het charcoal bloodred called Beau. Mojo joins the family on the 25/02 he is a upper keys pos het hypo cinder cor..

Scuse me while I kiss the sky!!:2thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts