Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went down to an rspca centre on monday and doing my bit for a charity i got a 3ft boa he is a very docile snake and loves being held :2thumb:

in the viv

having a nosey at my top

waky wierd angle

cheers guys

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers :flrt:

im so over the moon with him he is called Zeus btw
and i was expecting a battle with a very aggressive snake to be honest but to my surprise he has taken to me really well first feed monday so we will see how he is then,one other thing he has a nice big cat litter tray (filled with water not litter lol) should i mist him during the day?

·
Registered
890 Posts
ello

theres no reason to mist him as he doesnt require high humidity i would just put his water dish directly under his spot bulb in the viv this will evaporate the water creating a slightly humid environment anyway. I would try to avoid handling him too much at first as he could be stressed and snakes can be put off feeding if there stressed?

Anyway boas as a rule are docile snakes and tolerate being handled but it is still a snake at the end of the day and they will bite! i have a larger than normal collection and even boa's i think are tame still strike out and bite. there animals and they can all have there good and bad days. the learning process to avoid being bitten will start for you especially around feeding time. you need to be careful when food is present as even the tamest snake in the world turns in to a monster when food is about. also you need to look at his body language and this will tell you what kind of mood he is in and whether you should be handling him or not.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
couldnt agree more,i had a good chat with my mum about the fact he is still an animal and could still bite,but he seems so docile,i think/hope i could tell if he was going to bite,he has been climbing and scouting his viv but i havnt caught him in his hides or water yet,he is probably just settling in,but i also have a nice big rub too feed him in to avoid the inevitable bite

·
Banned
10,056 Posts
theres no reason to mist him as he doesnt require high humidity i would just put his water dish directly under his spot bulb in the viv this will evaporate the water creating a slightly humid environment anyway. I would try to avoid handling him too much at first as he could be stressed and snakes can be put off feeding if there stressed?

Anyway boas as a rule are docile snakes and tolerate being handled but it is still a snake at the end of the day and they will bite! i have a larger than normal collection and even boa's i think are tame still strike out and bite. there animals and they can all have there good and bad days. the learning process to avoid being bitten will start for you especially around feeding time. you need to be careful when food is present as even the tamest snake in the world turns in to a monster when food is about. also you need to look at his body language and this will tell you what kind of mood he is in and whether you should be handling him or not.
Spot on :notworthy:

·
Registered
600 Posts
i went down to an rspca centre on monday and doing my bit for a charity i got a 3ft boa he is a very docile snake and loves being held :2thumb:s
Nice Boa dude.

Did you see that place on the News? Near Hastings or somewhere is it not?

I was going to pop a long for a look myself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it was the one on the new in brighton got a few more snakes and lizards down there really nice bloke in there too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts