Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen e.g. american breeder videos such as snakebytestv they all use a light coloured substrate, don;t think its aspen tho, any ideas??

Want to get some for my boa and retic as Im sick of looking at newspaper!!!!

Also what substrate bar newspaper do you use for your retics

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Sorry dude, its newspaper all the way for me.

Failing that, any of the normal substrates will do fine.

Due to their fast metabolisms though, you'll probably regret anything bar newspaper. :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For my boa i just use newspaper

For the retic in the RUB id rather use a substrate, don;t think him or my false water cobra like newspaper as they never come out on it, just spend all there time in the bloody humid boxes, thin kim the only person in the world who every snake they have is bloody shy lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
i use beech chips, you can use aspen but it is like straw

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I would never recomend newspaper for retics. I know plenty use it but i don't feel you can properly keep the humidity right. This is of course just my opinion, which will undoubtedly go against the majority of other retic keepers.

I use a mix of flax (horse bedding) and coconut husk but you could use coconut husk alone, or something like orchid bark etc etc.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
We were using woodchips,then newspaper as you say it gets abit boring (very easily to clean thou)but have just gone over to Eco Earth and it keeps the humidity aswell.:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive used orchid bark in the poast but thats what i got mites from but im gonig to bake the substrate in future

Any ideas why my snakes never come out of there humidity hides! despite the humdiity being fine around the 60 mark. I have the hypooasis mites in there so that cud b y..

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I would never recomend newspaper for retics. I know plenty use it but i don't feel you can properly keep the humidity right. This is of course just my opinion, which will undoubtedly go against the majority of other retic keepers.

I use a mix of flax (horse bedding) and coconut husk but you could use coconut husk alone, or something like orchid bark etc etc.
My humidity is fine for the most part.

I spray them all regularly too for the extra boost, especially around shed time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
does not matter in the slightest. as long as cycled properly

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
My humidity is fine for the most part.

I spray them all regularly too for the extra boost, especially around shed time.
With the exception of BVA and his 3 months experience i would guess that most will agree with you :)
I just feel however that "proper" substrate provides a more consistent level rather than newspaper which peaks when sprayed and dips when not.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
With the exception of BVA and his 3 months experience i would guess that most will agree with you :)
I just feel however that "proper" substrate provides a more consistent level rather than newspaper which peaks when sprayed and dips when not.
Yes, do agree with you!

I do feel that this does happen in the wild too, although to a much lesser extent.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I use AUBIOSE. It's a horse bedding substrate but it clumps together when they pee and it seems to cover most of the smell. I have had a couple of my new snakes sort of coughing when I first put them on aubiose rather than paper. I used to use paper, but I personally found the boxes harder to keep clean than when I use aubiose. It costs around £12 for a bale size bag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts